Electric Bill - Is this Eccessive?

That should of course be "Sheila Maid". And our bill is about £250 a quarter, possibly less now we're with Ebico.

It's worth pointing out that the switching sites don't always make it easy to find tariffs in cases where they don't get commission. You have to look out and check things like 'social tariffs' and others. In my case, I was then presented with a 'do you really want to do this, they are a small company' warning to try and put me off (Uswitch I think).

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 21:44:03 +0000 someone who may be Derek Geldard wrote this:-

That depends on the particular model of lamp. Some start very quickly and are at full brightness in a second or two. Others take longer to start.

Modern models for some time have generally started very quickly.

Reply to
David Hansen

=A347.50/month (=A3142.50 qtr) and I think thats a lot. Last bills have = been

163.32 146.99 137.97 148.14 140.39 124.31 so it's about right for our consumption.

By "gas installation job" do you means mains gas (if available) or propane cylinders outside? The latter shouldn't cost a great deal and ga= s is SO much nicer to cook on than electric. The Hob itself will probably =

fit the existing worktop cutout.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Small addendum to this, most suppliers are now over 10p/unit, so this will be 30p+ per hour

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Yes, I appreciate we've paid a lot over the years when the kids were young (largely for the convenience of tumbler drying), I can't say I think our bills/metering have been wrong, it's down to our usage :(

If SWMBO had had to get out in the back garden to hang out clothes to dry, she would have "impinged" on our children to be less profligate with their use of newly washed clothes. As I said, frequently 3 changes per day.

I'm now investigating the prospects for a clothes drying "Area" in the garden, screened and roofed, perhaps mechanically ventilated to improve the speed of drying, and possibly solar heated in the summer.

No, I meant in most cases it's a job for a Corgi installer. Naturally if there's no mains gas it costs even more.

Agreed.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Are you sure? EBICO are good for low users but not so good for those tha= t will always use the first N units of a "no standing charge" tarrif and a= t =A3230/qtr you will be doing that easyly. You may as well shop for the lowest unit price you can find and ignore the standing charge element.

I have EquiPower for the barn and cottage as they are very low use whils= t being refurbished and the standing charges of normal tarrifs dwarfed the= useage. Scottish Power provides our main consumption. Standard Equipower= is 9.81p/unit here v 7.191p/unit on Scottish. Scottish standing charge i= s

12.39p/day so if I use more than 4.73 units/day on Equipower that is the= more expensive tarrif. Your spend of =A3250/qtr probably means about 25 =

units/day that works out at about 50p/day more expensive or =A345/qtr...=

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

When ours were small we changed our tumble drier for a gas one. This resulted in a much reduced electricity bill, and the gas bill also reduced. (the gas reduction was mainly a result of replacing the old warm air unit with a wet system with a system boiler).

Reply to
<me9

I recently changed my electricity from over 10p/unit to under 8. My tumble drier is about 8p per hour to run. It is, however, run on gas.

Reply to
<me9

We pay =A360 per month gas, =A360 per month electric - we have 2 PCs on=20

24/7, the gas central heating is on 24/7 over the winter months, and=20 afaik we're just within the payment regime we set artificially high=20 early last year.
Reply to
Colin Wilson

You may be surprised - a couple of propane bottles, a regulator and a length of pipe is remarkably easy to arrange, and really quite cheap. Definitely cheaper than getting BG to install a hob, though that's probably not saying much.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

It works out about £30/quarter less than our previous supplier. Possibly not the cheapest, but my statement is accurate!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but are you sure the bills are based on real readings. Sometimes estimated readings can be very wrong.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Laws

"Robert Laws" wrote

No these are based on genuine readings according to er indoors. As a point of interest, we have just received notification that our supply company want to change the meter on the 18th of this month. That could prove interesting!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

All together now, wrong. You can do gas in your own home or not for reward provided you are "competent". A couple of cylinders, regulators, automatic changeover and a bit of pipe is not very hard. You could do away with the auto change over if you don't mind running out of gas half way through cooking sunday lunch and having to go out mid storm to swap cylinders.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I can well believe it. There was a thread not that long ago where prices= of 15p/unit where quoted, I couldn't believe that such rates were out there until I looked. I guess inertia, horror stories of fupped up paperwork and lack of understanding of the "opened up market" means, sto= p people shopping around.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Make a note of the serial number and reading of both the old and new meters at time of changeover. If they make a cockup on the next bill you are stuffed without this independant record.

Reply to
Tony Williams

But you pay bills in arrears ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It doesn't make sense to have an immersion heater - or any means of heating stored hot water - without a thermostat.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

But the gas costs more and there's the inconvenience and pissible expense of exchanging the empty bottle for a new one.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

There is, or was, a statutory requirement for them to leave a card with old and new meter readings. Ask for the readings when they do the work.

Also, don't be surprised if the new meter reading isn't zero (or a nominal

6 units, if memory serves correctly). RECs were in the habit of re-issuing meters without recertification that were removed from service within 5 years of being certified, IYSWIM.
Reply to
The Wanderer