Elbow Grease - weird rash

"Elbow Grease Washing Up Liquid 740ml"

Ingredients

Contains amongst other ingredients:

15 to 30% Anionic Surfactants, <5% Non Ionic Surfactants, EDTA, Ethylene Diamine Tetra Acetic, used for chelation Parfum, Limonene, Monoterpene Limonene (used for removing sticky label glue) Methylchloroisothiazolinone, a biocide Methylisothiazolinone a biocide

Yummy. Rinse well.

How is the competition doing ?

? Aqua ? Sodium laureth sulphate ? Alcohol denat ? Lauramine oxide ? C9-11 pareth-8 ? Sodium chloride ? 1,3-Cyclohexanedimethanamine ? PPG (polypropylene glycols) ? Dimethyl aminoethyl methecrylate/hydroxyproply acrylate copolymer cirate ? Parfum ? Geraniol ? Limonene ? Colourant

"You're soaking in it"

And you're eating off those plates.

Makes you wonder what the "Fairy with antibacterial" has in it, in addition. A biocide ?

I'm almost sorry I looked these up. I would have guessed "just a surfactant" when looking at the bottle.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Unfortunately the performance standards for washing machines only include electricity used per cycle, water used per cycle and how clean the clothes get - and this is tested on an Eco cycle that takes so long that you will never use it, unless you are going to leave it running overnight (our new machine takes 4-1/2 hours or more on that setting).

There is no assessment of how well the clothes are rinsed and so manufacturers use the minimum amount of water and rinses that they can get away with.

Even our old machine would throw soapy water on the glass door during the final spin and leave a pool of bubbly water in the door seal.

Reply to
Steve Walker

This is why I always set my washer to do an extra rinse - it also helps to get rid of the perfumes they add.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Our washing machine has a 30-minute wash/rinse/slow-spin cycle. It also has a dedicated rinse-only cycle... which takes 40 minutes. I presume the latter is a *lot* more thorough with its rinsing - either it sloshes the clothes in the same rinse water for longer or else it has more empty/fill cycles.

Washing powder versus capsules of liquid... Do the liquid capsules really dissolve that much better? I've occasionally had clothes that still have a bit of concentrated liquid in a fold after a wash/rinse/spin programme, whereas I don't remember ever having clothes with powder gunge on them. If the powder doesn't fully dissolve, the gunge remains in the drawer and doesn't seem to make it into the drum and into contact with the clothes. My wife went through a phase of using "soap nuts" in a plastic "egg". It probably got the clothes as clean as a capsule, but the absence of any perfume meant there was nothing to mask the smell of stale "soap nuts" after they had been used a few times - the nuts are barely soluble so they don't have to be replaced with every new load of washing.

Reply to
NY

Thanks for the suggestion. We suspect (but don't actually know) that added glycerine contributes to the problem so we've tended to avoid the translucent ones. But I don't have any problems like that (touch wood) so we could give it a try and I could use it if it didn't work for her.

Thanks again,

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Companies do not do anything which is not required by law.

The only active ingredient on my bottle of washing up here is "anionic surfactant". There is no complete ingredient list. P&G doesn't list stuff it does not have to.

If you look at tooth cleaning products however, the ingredient list is quite detailed. And necessarily so, as some compositions are not fit for use! Specifically, the ones with strong compounds used to whiten teeth. I have to read the label on each box, before I buy some of that. That's because the ingredient list changes frequently (the industry had a meltdown a couple years ago - the removal of plastic microspheres was the kickoff event).

Paul

Reply to
Paul

+1 (rinse with more water)

I guess also that many people use too much washing power/detergent in with every load. Half the dose stated on the plastic bottle is sufficient for the majority of clothes cleaning.

Reply to
alan_m

Or dyed them blue :)

Reply to
alan_m

The Sainsbury's washing liquid I use has a measuring cap. The dose size upon which they calculate the number of washes is less than the lowest marking on the cap.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon