Effin Softy Act

This turns out not to be the case.

For one thing there are an enormous variety of these things; for another you can't become immune to some of them.

If you're going to disagree please supply references.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Why don't you provide reference to show that you will probably be affected again? I can point out the fact that most people seldom get the same bug again. Even though people get multiple colds and multiple cases of the flu they are all different bugs.

Reply to
dennis

OK - valid point, Dennis; I'd forgotten that. And yes the germs might have come from the cup, but the point I was making was that it was a wet foundation area I was in and I followed the house owner up a ladder, so that seemed the quite likely source, and I didn't wash my hands after being there. Whichever way, that's where the blame lies in my mind and I'll be more rigorous in my hand washing in future after such explorations.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Mothers.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

By having a mother and a social worker.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The trouble is that he may not be required to, but like the highway code not being the law, unless you follow the "guidance" you leave yourself open to being prosecuted or sued.

In this case, it is quite feasible that as the HSE has given guidance, not following it to the letter, could lead to his "lack of care" being used against him if one of his employees later developed skin cancer. It may not, in itself, be a serious H&S "failing," but it could very easily be a piece of ammunition, added to other "failings."

Much like PAT. It was only ever intended to address equipment that is regularly moved around and used in hostile environments and there is no requirement at all for normal office equipment to be so tested. You can however bet that if a brand new piece of equipment did electrocute someone, one of the first questions asked would be "was it tested?" and the first port of call would be to look at prosecuting the company directors or similar!

SteveW

Steve Walker

True - but it can happen... and as an example, botulism, as has been pointed out, doesn't normally breed in the body the way say Norovirus does; it's the residual toxins that get you.

... and this ties up with "For one thing there are an enormous variety of these things". I don't think we're actually disagreeing.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I know, I said it.

Its why hand washing is essential for food preparation as the food may be stored for a period of time during which the toxins and bugs grow. Its not as important when you are actually eating the stuff as there is less time for the bugs to do anything before the body's defences get a chance to attack. Obviously there are contaminants that should be avoided, but you probably should have been wearing gloves if they were there.

Reply to
dennis

All too true.

I had a contract maintaining student accommodation for a couple of years, good little earner.

Things changed, multinational FM company took over, I had to move on.

Two things are now apparent.

The standard of service has dropped drastically. Things like 'broken socket/switch', 'loose/dripping tap', 'broken lock' now have to be dealt with by qualified electricians, plumbers & locksmiths which means they are often left for several weeks until a decent list of jobs builds up. Or they are treated as emergencies & invoke high call out charges.

I sorted them there & then.

The site manager now spends most of his time monitoring water temperatures, air quality & stuff - all to cover the arse of the MNFMC - but the students now moan about lack of maintenance.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman