Effin Softy Act

Met a bloke I haven't seen for a while, used to run a brick laying business. Now retired, fed up will all the rules & regs.

The last straw was when he was told he had to supply sun tan lotion to his 5 brickies in case they got sun burned at work.

Recounting this story to another bloke at the local BM, retired chap in the queue mentioned he volunteered for an hour a day in a local hospice. basically just chatted to people & did the washing up after the morning cuppa.

He has now been told he has to go on a course about 'washing up'.

What is going on in the world?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

When I hear H&S I reach for my hoody.......

:-)

Reply to
Newshound

Wrong, of course, like so many stories about H&S. What he is *advised* to do, is to *encourage* outdoor workers to keep covered up during the summer months and to apply SPF 15 sunscreen to any exposed skin. On the relevant leaflet, (HSE leaflet INDG337) it quite clearly states 'This leaflet contains notes on good practice which are not compulsory but which you may find helpful in considering what you need to do'. Supplying sun screen would count as encouragement and thus would be good practice, but he is not actually required to do so.

Seems reasonable to me, given that the health of vulnerable people is at risk. Most people do not even know how to wash their own hands for maximum hygiene without being instructed.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I used to be a contractor to a big chemical factory. I mentioned to the Chief Engineer that the place looked cleaner. He said that they were all doing NVQs on sweeping up; his look stopped me giggling. The place is heavy engineering and is a very dangerous place to work in.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

And I'd argue that suplying is less safe on the basis you don't know what a given worker may be allergic (in the broadest sense) to. Much better to encourage them to use their own that they know they won't ahvea reaction to.

Agreed. How often to you see people obeying the "Now Wash Your Hands" sign by dibbling their finger tips under a tap for two seconds and then drying them?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My parents next door neighbour was a joiner. He spent the summers working on house roofs without suncream. When I was a child he was a fit bronzed man.

When he was 60 he developed skin cancer that was almost certainly caused by the sun exposure. His last year of life was of the worst possible quality.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Agreed. We have some of the most vulnerable people on the planet and allowing infection to spread is not an option.

I worked for an NHS trust and was trained on how to wash my hands effectively. The staff were very conscientious about it but sadly there were quite a few emails detailing temporary ward closures due to infections.

In some environments it is necessary to wash up in deep very hot water. I saw a nasty claim when someone had not been trained on which gloves to use.

It is funny how many people think health and safety is a waste of time until one of their loved ones is on the wrong end of something not done properly.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

H&S is fine.. its the idiots that use it as an excuse to not do something that are the problem.

Reply to
dennis

It's basically one of two things:

1) nonsense invented by companies who have no actual knowledge of what the law requires, but think they are being super-compliant ( and by being so focussed on their own incorrect interpretation of the law, may actually be non-compliant! )

2) basically they don't want to do something, so they dress it up in HSE red tape and claim it's not possible, blaming it on HSE.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Or just tick the boxes on the risk assesment without paying any thought other than it being a "box ticking excercise" as to what they are actually doing, how the ticked boxes apply or are even relevant in the real world.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Even though SWMBO washes up much more than I do, I can't train her not to use dish-rags to wipe stuff "clean" in the washing up water. You know, those cloths full of food particles that are then left wet and scrunched up on the counter. To be fair, she does boil them in bleach from time to time, but the real answer is to use a dish brush, that you have some hope of keeping clean.

Reply to
Tim Streater

My other half is a H&S professional who used to audit kitchens. I recently suggested to her that the permanently damp sponge we use to wipe the kitchen surfaces etc really is not a very good idea! Time to buy some disposable wipers me thinks.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

I stick damp floorcloths etc (washed in hot soapy water and wrung out) in the microwave and zap them until approaching crispy.

One now has a batik-like pattern of scorch-marks where I over-zapped it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It used to really annoy me on location filming - people would go straight into the lunch queue and then handle food without washing their hands. After touching gawd knows what on the 'set'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hmm. Most H&S is more about protecting the employer than employee.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We don't have dish rags. But when mother-in-law comes to visit she always buys us one...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Or signs on the back of doors asking you to consider how many people haven't washed their hands, so what are you supposed to do, stand there avoiding pulling the assumed dirty handle, until some else opens the door from the outside?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Whenever I eat in a restaurant I wonder why I bother washing my hands, when the exit doors are almost always pull doors. So anyone who hasn't washed their hands leaves god knows what on the handle to go on my hands when I open the door.

Is there a good reason for the doors being this way round - I'd have thought it made more sense to pull the door open going in, then push on the way out, so you can avoid touching dirty surfaces.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Yup - tick the boxen and job done. I call it CMA: Cover My Arse. The actual meaning and intent aren't of any interest, just avoiding trouble.

Reply to
PeterC

Many of them open in to a corridor or there are people passing anyway, so SPLAT! I can open most of these doors without touching the handle.

Reply to
PeterC