Porch swing finish

I just started a porch swing in cherry - I looove the look of natual, aged cherry. Now, the dilema. Even though the porch is covered the rain and snow blow in and scattered UV rays are bound to funkify the color. Let's hear some suggestions on the most desireable finish for the application. If it requires periodic maintenace, like an oil finish, I'm still very game (not to be confused with gamey). TIA

Reply to
C & M

I've not tried it on cherry, but I've use Penofin oil on a few outdoor (cypress, Spanish cedar, mahogany) items and I like it very much. It has UV inhibitors.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Try Flood's Penetrol. Straight up. If you want to believe, take a stick of scrap cherry, stick it halfway into the Penetrol, hang it outside, call me in 3-5 years. You'll chuckle like a little kid. Amazing stuff.

Reply to
Robatoy

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:27:21 -0400, the inscrutable Robatoy spake:

Paint CONDITIONER straight? Whuffo?

--- Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Is this the stuff that you add to latex paint to improve flow??

Reply to
C & M

Found it on Flood's site - an oil base paint additive (not for latex that I stated)

application.

Reply to
C & M
[schnipfed]

It is sold and used as a paint conditioner, but that's not its only raison d'etre. Buy/beg/borrow/steal some.. and play with it.... careful with discarded rags and steel-wool, 'cuz the shit combusts spontaneously real good.

Reply to
Robatoy

No.. Flood makes one for Latex, but don't use Penetrol in latex.

Reply to
Robatoy

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 23:12:17 -0400, the inscrutable Robatoy spake:

So...does it keep wood from going that gawdawful gray?

--- Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That would be called silver, the colour of distinction... and yes, it inhibits that greatly, assuming sufficient coverage.

Reply to
Robatoy

He's talking about wood and you reply about the color of a gentleman's hair.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

...guilty. I can't pull one over on you, Ed.

Don't you just love those guys who try to get away with Greecy Formula? Or a beaver/racoon pelt? At least Davy Crockett left the tail on.

...and I'm not talking about this Davy Crockett.

Robatoy

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:39:43 -0400, the inscrutable Robatoy spake:

"Silver, the colour of distinction" on wood is what I refer to as BFU GRAY, bubba. I like my wood WOOD colored, thanks, and will have to try some of that Penetrol straight. What do they get for a gallon of it, or does a quart go a long way?

--- Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you are thinking of Penofin look here =

the bottom of the page the following is stated "Expect 3-5 years on vertical surfaces,=20

1-2 years on horizontal surfaces=20 depending on use and weather exposure".

If you are thinking of Penetrol look here =

site gives the same kind of blather about how good the product is; = but fails to state, as with Penofin, how long a treatment will last = before it will need refurbishing.

All in all, I am thinking of Penofin for my deck.

Personally, I like the ugly look of silver cedar. SWMBO doesn't.

--=20 PDQ

| >> So...does it keep wood from going that gawdawful gray? | >

| >That would be called silver, the colour of distinction... and yes, it =

| >inhibits that greatly, assuming sufficient coverage. |=20 | "Silver, the colour of distinction" on wood is what I refer to | as BFU GRAY, bubba. I like my wood WOOD colored, thanks, and will | have to try some of that Penetrol straight. What do they get for | a gallon of it, or does a quart go a long way? |=20 | --- | Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.=20 |

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
PDQ

days though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:Oo6re.537$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

I guess the upside is that there is less 'hat hair'...

When we were kids, we used to watch out for drivers who were described as 'old guys wearing hats'. We should have been more kind to our predecessors. I rather resemble that remark these days.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

About 10 Kanuckistani dollarsk for a litre. (US Quart).. about 10 bucks. It all depends on how thirsty the wood is, Larry.

That silver which so becometh cedar is a pleasure to beholdeth. A Very high spiff factor in my book.

Play with it, 'cuz YMMV.

Reply to
Robatoy

I always thought that hats were cool. My dad always wore a fedora till he retired and started to wear caps. Elliott Ness looked better with a hat. And with a hat, you can do things...like tip it to a lady to let her know she's looking good.... much better than a whistle or a construction worker-grade ""Hey baby!" You can't nibble on a piece of straw without a hat. Hats are cool.. I wish they'd come back.

Throwing your hat on the ground in a moment of frustration is cool.... MUCH better than doing that with a motorcycle helmet which will bounce up and awkwardly knock you in the balls... or so I'm told.

Reply to
Robatoy