Porch swing

Forgive me if this shows up twice, my ISP is working on servers and got things totally screwed up! A while back I made a porch swing for a friend of mine and his wife. I did it in Eastern cedar, the good smelling kind. It made the shop smell so good. Any way, I didn't put any kind of protectant or sealer on it when I took it to him. We hung it on a swing set frame out in the back, and all was good. He put something, Thompson's maybe, on it mid summer, and it was ok for the rest of the year, at least until September or so. I had stopped by there to have a cold one and noticed the swing was turning white-ish. I went over and looked, and it looked bad. It has some kind of wax build up all over it. It was thick enough you could scrape it off with your thumbnail. Well we broke out the pressure washer and proceeded to try and clean it off. Well it looked good while it was wet, but he called me a couple days later and said it was back the way it was. So being the nice guy I am, I told him I would make them another one if he gets me the wood. He came by Tuesday with 5 8/4 by 16 foot pieces of cedar! That should be enough to do it I hope. DOH, do it and four more probably!! But anybody have any ideas as to what happened?? And what would you use to put on it to keep the red color instead of it turning gray? Thanks for any insight in this.

Reply to
Tim Taylor

I don't know what caused the problem but I used Olympic Wood Protector, semi transparent, on this gate. It's 2 years old. Cedar.

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=1494&.dnm=2538re2.jpg&.src=ph

Max

Reply to
Max

"Tim Taylor" wrote in news:j7-dnfEp-YEA4sfZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com:

Thompson's can do that. Use something that's more oil, and less waxy. Cabot's, or Olympic, or something else 'professional grade'.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

If it sits in direct sun, you should figure on reapplying your finish every six months if you go with something like Thompson's. Never more than a season.

Cedar is so soft and the wood so spongy it tends to pull the finishes in but not hold onto them. I have never had any luck with Thompson's for anything, ever, and the last couple of gallons I had of that stuff I threw it out on hazardous material disposal day.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Well I'm not sure it was Thompson's or not. He just said a sealer, and I assumed that's what it was. What about a spar urethane? or even poly? Would that work? I don't mind doing this for them, it gets me free wood, but I'd like to make this one last a little longer that the other one. Thanks for the info guys!

Reply to
Tim Taylor

For many finishes, if water gets underneath the area will turn a white color. You would have to ask what product was applied to the swing (and do not use that again!). I use CWF for outdoor projects. It is a clear product that has UV protectant, and will last up to 2 or 3 years. Use stainless steel fasteners to avoid black streaking.

Reply to
Phisherman

Ok, I got to ask what is CWF? I use SS fasteners in all my outdoor stuff, learned that one the hard way. I'm going to see him tomorrow, and I will definitely find out what he used. I was thinking about making me one for my front porch with the leftover stuff he brought. Thanks!!!

Reply to
Tim Taylor

CWF is a product made by The Flood Company and stands for Clear Wood Finish and is sold at Home Depot. I use it on my cedar outdoor furniture. It will slightly darken the wood. Here's a FAQ on CWF...

a product description...

you decide to use it on the porch swing, set it in the sun to cure for a few days, otherwise it will remain tacky.

Reply to
Phisherman