Ebay inaccessible for many today

As per subject.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

???? Just done some 'usual' housekeeping on eBay - all as usual...

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Yes.

My life is empty today being unable to watch other people buying tat.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

According to Twitter "all sites working normally". Not here it isn't

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Was down for me too, OK now but

didn't see a problem.

Reply to
Andy Burns

And abebooks.co.uk at the same time...

Reply to
mike

En el artículo , Harry Bloomfield escribió:

Think it was more widespread than that. I couldn't get to several of my usual sites, including Dilbert. Traceroutes petered out somewhere on Level3.net in Texas.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

According to an E-Mail I got from TsoHost's boss it was due to a breakdown of DNS on major routers in data centres. This DNS failure was caused by an arbitrary (but until now) sufficient limit on the number of DNS entries they could cache. Just in the last day or two the total number of DNS names on the internet hit this number.

.... at least that's my understanding.

Reply to
cl

In message , at 18:52:58 on Tue, 12 Aug

2014, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net remarked:

Not DNS at all, but BGP routing tables hitting 512k entries:

This isn't a new problem, I remember having to throw away some routers when their memory had already been upgraded to its design limit (which was probably 64k routes) in the late 90's; and there was discussion of mitigation techniques in 2007 when the tables hit 256k routes.

Apparently some people have tweaked their routers recently to 768k (the next obvious step up).

ps It really is 512,000 as reported by ZD-Net, and not 512*1024.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Ah, yes, I did think that DNS didn't sound right somehow. Thanks for the correction and clarification. I was just [mis]remembering what the TsoHost E-Mail had said.

Reply to
cl

In article , Roland Perry writes

Interesting, thanks for posting the link. Interesting that el Reg and the Inq haven't picked up on the story. The only relevant story seems to be Ebay having gone down.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Mike Tomlinson writes

They have now:

Mike Tomlinson

The BBC news website was doing odd things like running an article on Jimmy Saville's death;!..

Now seems fine like ebay...

Reply to
tony sayer