Easiets/cheapest way to get rid of garden waste?

I knew someone who used one as an access platform while changing the lamp in his garage... he slipped and landed astride the corner of the bin. He was walking funny for several days ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

OK, then instead of quite often not putting the black bin out more than one time in two, we'll put it out not more than one time in four.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Around here people have learnt to share.

Reply to
dennis

Well, it is supplied (supposedly) free and is emptied every 2 weeks. It is the same size as the normal wheelie bins.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Googles ...............

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Unless I have something unusual, my black (landfill) bin would last, at a wild guess, about 10 years. The very small amount that I do have is tipped into next door's bin when I put it out.

In September we're getting blue WBs for all "recyclates" - about time to, as when the boxes are emptied our carefully sorted gems are tipped into one bin anyway.

We'll also have containers for food waste - another 10-year container for me (although it would probably waste away faster than I would put it in).

Reply to
PeterC

In article , polygonum writes

Our green bin is for landfill. Grey bin is for recycling. Go figure.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Thanks, but I'll risk it. Besides, I tend to do it either in the middle of the lawn where there's a soft landing and no obstacles to strike my bonce; or at the side of the house, where I can hang on to the drain pipe...

Yep got one of those (not Maplins) but it's complete crap; and the compacting ratio is but a fraction of what I can achieve in person.

Reply to
Lobster

Our council provides all the details on their website - wouldn't be surprised if your Mum's does as well

Reply to
Lobster

When ours was first launched (quite a few years ago now!) it was not that long after the big foot and mouth outbreak. We were told that as the garden waste was taken to a farm site for composting all food stuff was banned from the site as it was suspected of being the cause of the 2001 outbreak.

No idea how true that was. Since then we've had an extra food waste collection added but that goes to a industrial site and not a farm.

Some info on

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman