Easi Fill - how to apply?

Our spare bedroom once had wallpaper on it and the previous owner decided that when he took the paper down he wouldn't worry about repairing the bits of paint/plaster that had come away. He just emulsioned it. It looks like hideous when viewed close up. We're short on budget so having the room skimmed by a plasterer is out (for now).

I've never plastered but kept coming across Gyproc Easi Fill as an option to plaster.

So tonight I tried the stuff. The trouble is I am not really sure of what I should be aiming for. I used a plasterers metal float and mixed up the stuff in a bucket and put it on a plastic board to scoop up. It was at this point I realised I didn't really know the consistency to aim for?

Applying it with the float I held this at an angle and swept it up the walls. I found if I put too much pressure on the stuff didn't really cover very well, and too little pressure left "islands" in the finish. I couldn't really get the pressure right.

In the end I've done two small walls next to a window - one with a thicker coat that the other. I will see which sands down to the best finish.

In the meantime... does anyone have any tips on how to use the stuff?

Thanks.

Painters10

Reply to
Painters10

Ours was worse than that (

) - the top coat plaster came off with the wallpaper.

I've used that, and proper plaster. Easi Fill was *much* easier (although I'm getting better at the proper stuff!)

I found plaster needs to be mixed thinner than seemed correct :-)

Doesn't it say how much water to use on the pack? (I can't remember).

Plaster wetter than it seems sensible, and a thin coat. Don't worry too much about getting it perfect.

Once the wall is skimmed with the stuff and it's starting to go hard, spray a bit of water on it (or flick it on with a brush if you don't have a spray handy) and then polish it up with the plastering trowel. You can get it much flatter then - if it's not set enough then you just push it around.

You say the paint has come off - I wonder if you are trying to fill hole that are too shallow. I usually aim for a few mm depth - not sure how well it'll work with paint depth depressions.

Still, as you say, at least this stuff can be sanded down.

Practice - you will get better...

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman