Earthing through plastic pipe

There are a lot of noncompliant supply incomers around, but they were all c ompliant at time of installation. Eg 30A rated, touchable live parts, dp fu sing, asbestos etc. To the best of my knowledge it has never been compliant to provide a neutral earth from a non-PME supply, hence I would not expect to ever see a non-PME neutral earth connection in this country. If you wan t to check with the DNO you can, but is there any realistic basis for the c laimed need to?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's not a difficult condition to diagnose, unless of course the diagnosis is done by someone whose total experience of the patient is a 5 minute visit.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Before PME was 'invented' it was possible to get E Boards/REC's to fit an 'earth' terminal for a nominal charge in domestic premises. This was basically utilising the supply cable earth conductor connection at the cut out which the property main earth conductor could be connected to.

Since PME came in i am not sure if this is still available.

Reply to
Tufnell Park

Not sure either.

When I bought this house in the 70s, the earth was provided by bonding to the incoming lead water pipe. Also bonding to the cast iron gas pipe.

There had been relatively recent works done (before I bought it) which included a new riser, and the meter moved from cellar to the top of the cellar stairs. Wired in three core armoured cable from riser to meter, with the third being the earth and an earth terminal alongside the meter installed, which the house wiring earth was connected to. An old conduit ran alongside the armoured, so I assume the ancient fusebox had always been at the top of the cellar stairs.

Most of the lighting wiring was lead covered, although a more modern ring had been added at some point.

Such a mess it was a condition of the mortgage it was rewired, which I did to a basic level before moving in. But since everything to the meter was obviously recent, left that as was.

On re-commissioning the new installation, the then board passed it all. Including removing a second meter in another part of the house.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Say you wanted to convert from TT to PME. If your cutout installation predated the network upgrade but was otherwise of an appropriate type, then you would need to check with the DNO prior to fitting the missing link (or more likely having them fit it)

Reply to
John Rumm

ll compliant at time of installation. Eg 30A rated, touchable live parts, d p fusing, asbestos etc. To the best of my knowledge it has never been compl iant to provide a neutral earth from a non-PME supply, hence I would not ex pect to ever see a non-PME neutral earth connection in this country. If you want to check with the DNO you can, but is there any realistic basis for t he claimed need to?

that TN-S has long been available is not news and afaik not relevant

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Are you saying some sparks were in the habit of fitting a supplier's neutral to MET link on TT feeds, and using only that for the house's earth system? If so I wasn't aware one could buy the links, nor that sparks were being so irresponsoble.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No.