Earth rod for outhouse

Nor me, but later in the week, perhaps - by which time some of the unknowns in your list above may be filled-in.

It would be particularly useful to have an answer to "device protecting SWA to shed not known (type, rating)" (i.e. the device at the house end) and also to know what sort of activities are to be carried out in the outhouse/shed - IOW what is the electricity supply actually required /for/?

Reply to
Andy Wade

I could have made this easier I see :)

Protected by a 30ma rcd (?)

Its actually fed off a 30 amp mcb (?) on the house consumer unit

Yup

Metal cu with old fashioned wired fuses

2 rcd sockets for outside stuff 2 sockets for beer fridge and freezer Lights inside shed (shed only 15' x 8' internally)

Ah gwan :)

And thank you very much for the assistance rendered so far. The worrying bit is the advice I've had from some 'proper' sparks..........(NOI)

Reply to
mark

Lighting. Fridge and freezer. RCD sockets for anything from radio through concrete mixer up to 3kw angle grinder. Possibly all at the same time :)

Reply to
mark

As I said I hadn't referred to a cable chart so I bow to your correction. Does the fact that your sizes are for XLPE affect the size over PVC?

Reply to
John

Er, the literal answer to that is clearly "no" - but the o/d of the PVC insulated stuff is quite a bit larger:

--------------- Table of O/D of

2-core SWA cables

--- XLPE PVC CSA O/D O/D mm^2 mm mm

1.5 11.5 12.3 (11.7)* 2.5 12.9 13.6 (13.1) 4 14.4 15.1 6 15.6 16.5 10 16.8 20.1 16 19.6 21.9 25 20.9 22.6 35 23.0 24.5 50 25.3 27.4

  • All figures are for stranded conductors, incl. for 1.5 mm^2 and 2.5 mm^2 sizes, except figures in brackets which are for PVC cables with solid conductors.
Reply to
Andy Wade