Earth loops

Oi!, Thats not what I inferred at all, and is not what happens in practice....

The cartridge has two output pins. One of them is connected via the bit of UN-screened wire to a screened cable "inner" that goes to the "live" side of the amp input. The other goes via the un-screened lead to the screen of the cable going to the amp.

It is NOT connected anywhere on the deck at all. Its totally floating..

The arm deck metalwork can either be "earthed" via the mains earth and also it sometimes is earthed to the amp via a single earth cable.

If that is done we still won't have a hum loop as the cabling going to the cart back to the amp is floating and is not part of an earthed circuit there at all..

Reply to
tony sayer

If you consider a wire wrapped round an expansion card screw a 'sound earth connection', you're not.

None of that is standard practice at all.

And how you bodge things in your own home is your business. However, as regards giving advice on here, the only safe and sensible way to solve the problem as asked is with audio transformers. Because if the OP understood ground loops and how to solve them by star grounding, he'd not be asking here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Those are already available on the various audio inputs and outputs.

Quite.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:44:28 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote= :

I simply don't agree. Numbers have to come into it at some point. Its not = a question of just imagining scenarios, you have to put numbers to them to = see if they're actually realistic. The level of risk involved with the eart= h connection screwed to the computer case is simply zero, ie zero people di= e per year as a result. Compare that with over 100,000 a year dying from wh= at they choose to eat, smoking and lack of exercise and its pretty clear wh= ere we should be putting in more effort, and where there's not actually a p= roblem.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'd agree with that because very few would do it, so no statistics available. And of course it may not matter until a fault develops - like any safety earth. However, if you extend this to messing with safety earths when you don't know what your doing, plenty do die or suffer injury.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)