Earth loops

Well I'd hope not;(, yes the other would be fine for Talkback and such applications. We don't as yet know quite what quality the OP expects if he's complaining about Humm then I expect his aspirations are higher then we'd prolly expect!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Well, Charles Fearnley has actually measure one and I'd not dispute his findings based on what I've heard of them. Adequate for other than true Hi-Fi use.

May not be so easy where a computer is involved. If its audio output screen is connected to mains ground.

BTW, I've seen 'separates' systems where each component had a mains ground via a three pin lead and plug, and that connected to the signal ground. The result was a hum loop. As supplied. It was a long time ago, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As already mentioned, earth appliance 1, and reroute each other appliance's mains earth connection to appliance 1's case.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Do you the results?

I don't see any difficulty there, you simply make the pc the directly earthed appliance, and reroute other appliance earths to a point on its case.

Reply to
meow2222

You may not see any difficulty in that - but I'll bet others will. And what happens if you wish to move any of it, etc?

Transformers in the audio connector leads are the easy - and safe - way to do things. Messing about with mains earths isn't - unless you know what you're doing. Although you could first try simply removing the screen connection at one end of the interconnecting audio cable(s)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Read his post.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, that's what I've done in the past and it's (mostly) worked.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Charles didn't say what his test results were, or link to them. The mfr's spec of 300Hz-4k +/- 0.2dB is very insufficient.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

No difficulty there either :)

Its trivial to know what youre doing, just connect the appliance earth wire to the pc case instead.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

From: Charles Fearnley Subject: Re: Earth loops Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 16:50 Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y

I used the transformers mentioned to balance audio inputs and outputs, as a cost effective solution, as I needed a lot of them. I was getting -3db points at around 50hz and 18khz - not quite hi-fi, but perfectly adequate, and the gear sounded very clean.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That sounds like you *don't* know what you're doing. If you are using the PC as a safety mains earth for other equipment the connection needs to be to where the PC itself is grounded - not just anywhere on the case. This probably means opening up the PS.

However, that is still a bad idea. To make sure the flexible cord earth isn't overloaded in event of multiple faults, the supply to the other equipment should be taken from the PC too.

So basically a bodge.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you really think thats wise to un-earth or rather to mess around with the earthing of a laptop?..

Or the amp system its connected to?..

Reply to
tony sayer

That's not true at all. Standard PCs have a metal case with the earthed psu screwed to the case with 4 screws. Its very much earthed, via a very low R path.

That's not true either. As long as you run the equipment from one supply circuit, which is trivially achieved by using a multiway extension lead, there's no issue.

NT

hardly

Reply to
meow2222

Its not unearthing, and afaik not messing about. Its standard practice with hifi systems, has been for many decades.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Still needs to have the earth connected correctly. Not just anywhere on the case. Cases have removable lids...

But can you be sure it will all be run from the same extension lead?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

hifi systems, has been for many decades.

Hi- Fi systems (separates) where no earth is provided other than at the amp must conform to the regs for this type of equipment if used as a stand alone. So are double insulated. You can't rely on the interconnect screen to carry enough current in event of a fault.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you think its good advice to tell an obvious novice to start messing around with any mains earthing arrangements on his laptop?..

Reply to
tony sayer

No-one has told anyone to mess around

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In article , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com scribeth thus

Well wasn't it you who was suggesting the removal of Earths?..

Reply to
tony sayer

No, I suggested rerouting the earth connection, as a huge number of hifis already do.

NT

Reply to
meow2222