Dysons...

My Dyson has had one belt (a DIY job to fit and belt available in Comet) and only filters in 7 years, and still going strong. An American lady next door borrowed it once, and was might impressed and was going to buy one in the USA, until I told here how it worked and as far as I know they do not sell them in the USA. She was disappointed.

Reply to
IMM

I had a sanyo for 17 years and all it ever needed was a replacement motor after 10 years. I shouldn';t have bothered,m but it was marginally cheaper then a new one. Its still around somewhere I think, but I have a slightly differet animal now that I got for £50 in dixons. Thats about

5 years old, still going strong, no belts to go you see.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They are now sold in the US - the typical price seems to start at $400 (plus whatever the local taxes are).

Reply to
S Viemeister

I had a Moulinex for 15 years and it was also crap. the Dyson is a wonder machine in comparison.

Reply to
IMM

You mean that you don't scrape off your plates before handwashing them? Ick.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Nah, washing up is women's work :-P

/me ducks and runs.

Reply to
parish

And well you should! If I do the cooking, someone else can do the washing-up.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I bought a DC04 3 years ago, supposedly for a mostly carpeted house. First thing I did was taking down an internal brick/block wall, and it was used to vacuum up all the dust and plaster. Since then, it has been moved to a different house where it is used entirely for clearing up building rubble, plaster dust, etc. The carpet brush beater is excellent for getting plaster/brickdust out of the crevices in a rough concrete floor ;-) The only thing that has gone wrong with it was due to me dropping something heavy on it, and Dyson supplied a replacement part free, even though I told them it was my fault. It will probably need a new hose soon as the sharp bits of brick don't seem to be doing that much good, but otherwise it's fine. I would not have bought it for such use in the first place, and although it's spent all its life in the middle of building site, I am careful not to bash it around, knowing it to be fragile. However, it's been just fine, and very effective.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

See..you can't even put them in the dishwasher!

High maintenance.

See how long they last on snadblasting residue or plaster dust as well.

I think our record was 25 seconds.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sadly, I usually do both...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not yet but they will

Reply to
Essjay001

Not only are Dysons currently available in the US, there are also a number of Dyson wannabes. I had the poor judgement to buy one of those knockoffs, because I have been so pleased with the performance of my DC01. The knockoff is a piece of junk - nowhere near as good as my old Dyson, which is still going strong after more than 5 years.

Reply to
S Viemeister

There you go.

Reply to
IMM

When I left them last year I think they were still trying get into the US or so they said Looks like they made it

Steve R

Reply to
Essjay001

I don't know who's doing it but someone needs to post less and spell check more

Reply to
Essjay001

Did you work for Dyson?

Reply to
IMM

No I slaved for them!

Reply to
Essjay001

Which is what I meant when I said people abuse them. They really were not designed for such treatment.

Reply to
Essjay001

Well, as I said elsewhere, my DC04 has only been used for this type of thing, and has been going fine for 3 years now.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Didn't stop them moving production abroad, though. ;-(

Reply to
Dave Plowman