Dycon DC01 replacement

Firstly I know there has been a lot about dysons on this group and Henrys, been reading the old threads.Any way we have a Dyson DC01, been great for he abuse its taken, but I fear it is not long for his world, appear to be no blockages anywhere (going to strip it down to confirm). There is now a lot of heat being thrown out and the small of very hot motor. What has people general experience been with the newer models ? SWMBO will not let me buy anything but a Dyson so the other brands are out. Just looking for a head up on people views of other models, don't fancy the ball as yet still too expensive.

Thanks

Reply to
Furby

DC07 - 2 claims under warranty, one for lack of suction (surely not on a Dyson?) and smelling of overheating (there were no visible blockages). This was caused by roughness on the casting of the internal cyclone thingies, apparently a production quality issue. Replacing the whole bin unit solved the problem and while they were at it they slipped in a fat rubber washer behind the filter, I assume to stop crap getting sucked past the filter into the motor. The second claim was a few months later when the motor fried itself, possibly due to overheating caused by the previous blockage, and maybe due to crap being sucked past the filter :-) The motor was replaced.

Since then though, it has been brilliant. I recently had to replace the flexi-hose underneath it, but that was easy and cheap. I'd be dubious about buying one of the latest models though, because you may get the same sort of production quality problems until they iron them out.

The turbo brush accessory is magic for doing the car.

Biggles Remove packaging. before e-mailing me

Reply to
Biggles

We've got 3 DC07's in the family now, as family members visiting have been very impressed when they've seen them, and a DC04 (which is the predecessor of the DC07). None of the DC07's have ever had any fault. The only fault on the DC04 was mine -- I dropped a vice on the cuff on the end of the hose and it broke. Dyson sent me a new hose FOC, even though I told them it was my fault. Actually, since the DC04 has only ever been used for building work during its 5 year life (which wasn't actually what it was bought for), I think it's doing extremely well. The only obvious sign is that the dust canister is sand-blasted on the inside from sucking up brick dust and rubble, and there's the odd dollop of plaster and cement stuck to the casing, which I could probably chip off.

All the machines were purchased for at least £100 less than the normal price, just by keeping an eye out for special offers and closing down sales. I wouldn't buy one at full price. You might now start to see offers on the DC07, as I believe it's being replaced with something like a DC14 (not sure if I got that number right). If you're not in a hurry, it really pays to just keep an eye out for a good offer for some time rather than rushing in and buying the first one you see.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The DC01 was great for sucking bits of cement and plaster too , Shhhh don't tell the wife :)

Reply to
Furby

Furby popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said

We had a DC01 it was magic, got a DC07 wasn't so impressed by that nothing you could put your finger on just a "Friday" machine. We have now got a Bosch (bagless, HEPA filters etc, all for less than £130) and it is like the DC01 was at first, don't know what you will do though as your wife insists on a Dyson [1] You may want to explain about paying for the name as Dyson couldn't (AFAIK) patent the actual cyclone so the technology is used in other machines,he has got patents on just about everything else to do with his machine. Ask in uk.diy for opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners

[1] Buying by name alone isn't a good idea as we recently bought a Philips set top box (Digibox) wife insisted we use Philips as she liked the company and it was British (yes I know it's Dutch (?) but it used to be British) had to return that as it wasn't working properly bought a Daewoo box (Japanese) and it seemed to work as advertised.
Reply to
soup

Furby

I have done a great deal of industrial cleaning with my DC01..

I have a DC01 going strong and a DC04 working great..

I know there are loads of DC04 limes going for around £120..

This ebay seller

(assumed refurbs) for around £50

Reply to
PhilÅ

soup popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said

Oops brainfa** this IS uk.diy just ignore that bit

Reply to
soup

And they are going quick as B-I-N so don't moan at me if they have all gone when you go a looking.

Reply to
PhilÅ

It never was. They had a factory here.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

You are right that cyclones had been around for years, as industrial filters and separators. They were large things though -- probably the smallest was the size of a dustbin and the bigger they are, the better they work. His patents covered the advances necessary to make a cyclone much smaller than had been done before, and to filter much better too. The principle patent is the use of a dual cyclone (which must be on the virge of expiring I would think), but there are many others too, some relating to the cyclone, others are unrelated to that part of the technology.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Philips has always been Dutch:

with a strong presence in the UK through Philips Industries, Mullard and Pye, etc.

Daewoo is Korean, not Japanese, but if you mean the SetPal box, that was designed in the UK and made in Ireland.

Reply to
Andy Wade

seems expensive for a fruit.

they are only 30p at Tescos.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just added a DC14 Animal to augment our ageing DC01 Absolute. Having added a third layer to the house we decided it was time to add another vacuum to save carting it up and down stairs all the time.

The Dysons seem to be one of the few we tried that will really shift pet hair out of carpets (we have a Dalmatian, which sheds copious amounts of short, stiff, barbed hairs all over the place that work their way into carpets and fabric).

The DC01 makes a very good job of carpets due to the effectiveness of its brush action as much as anything else - it does not have huge suction. The DC14 Animal however has quite prodigious suction to go with the effective brush action.

All in all I am very impressed with the Animal so far - the turbo brush add on it great for stairs and cars. I found the design of the DC01 suffers from a little "clunkiness" at times (as you would expect for being one of the first products to market I suppose). With the DC14 (and most of the later models I presume) these seem to have been designed out.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes but wife has it in her head that this is/was a British company (probably cos' her mum told her that)

Mea Culpa My loose speech showing through I tend to lump all countries from that part of the world together Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia , Philipines, et al.

Reply to
soup

In article , Andy Wade writes

Sorry to go off at a tangent, but do you know how to get support for it? I have a Daewoo Setpal box with early firmware; it has a couple of problems and it doesn't seem to want to pick up software updates off the air. I can't get a reply from setpal.com or Daewoo.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In message , Furby writes

We've just bought our second DC05 from :-

@ £120

Our first one is still going strong but has been relegated to car cleaning duties.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In article , Mike Tomlinson writes

Scratch that. Just checked the box and it quietly updated itself to the latest firmware without telling me last week :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

It owned Pye for a long time, before dropping the brand.

Reply to
Joe

Along with Ferguson and, i think grundig...maybe not grundig.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You don't say what's wrong, but if you haven't done so recently, change the filters. Made a huge difference to suction on ours. (Though they hadn't been changed for .... years.. )

Reply to
AJB