DVD Video streaming system

Hi All, I have set up a 100 base T network at home with Cat5e RJ45 sockets in all rooms (and also co-axial) and I also have some servers with reasonable amounts of storage space (800 Gig). I would like to rip all my DVD's onto the server and set up a streaming DVD server over IP. Ideally I would like to know if there is a) a piece of software that i could use which might be able to serve out the DVDs on demand. but when watching the DVD I would like to be able to use standard Televisions, ie: i would need some kind of hardware adaptor that transcodes from the streaming IP data into a RF coaxial (or preferably SCART) for the back of the Television. This IS NOT an solution for watching TV over the internet, I would be storing the DVDs myself on my own Server. Any help or info greatly appreciated.

Regards

Thankx in advance

Reply to
Seamus Mc Loughlin

Haven't used it so can't vouch for how well it works, but Hauppage do a device (an MVP, I think it's called) which has an ethernet input and a s-video output for video and 2 phono outputs for audio. I *think* this comes with the software you'd need to stream DVDs from at least one server; obviously check this out b4 you buy though. You often see these going on ebay for not a huge amount of money...

hth,

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Oh yeah, and I think Kiss did a DVD player with ethernet input as wel...

Jon

Reply to
Jon

I bought an MVP (scart edition) from PC world during their last sale for =A320! For that money it was silly not to.

One thing to be aware of is that it will only stream ripped DVD's as MPEG2, i.e. you cant have AC3 5.1 sound only stereo. On the manufacturers site is the latest firmware which should allow the streaming of DivX which is handy.

The MVP will also allow you to view photos and play music stored on your server.

Im looking into building a PVR which is why I bought one (I networked my house and the ethernet connection allows a clean connection to the TV)

Also suggest you go look at

which is a front end for controlling the MVP and much much more like allowing TV playback/recording through the MVP.

EC

Reply to
EC

Networked DVD player

Liteon LVD-2010 DVD Netplayer

This may be of use, although I don't know how relevant it is to your requirements. It certainly looks like an interesting item worth investigating further.

SVP

website
reader sometimes loses mail/newsgroup messages

- if you think you should have had a reply/comment, please e-mail me again. Ta!)

Reply to
romic

100Mbps coax? Not sure I've ever seen coax run at that speed before...

mythtv. It's a complete linux tv pvr/weather/news/dvd ripping/dvd watching/vcd etc piece of software.

It's client-server, so you can run a server somewhere with shitloads of disk & then put a small via based mini-itx board next to the telly with a CF disk on it (Silent because no moving parts, and the newer ones have TV out) also running mythtv. YOu can have as many front & backends as you like as well.

I use it on my server and watch on my laptop. You can record telly & adjust the bandwidth & resolution for programs etc. very nice software.

Hamie