Dunlop Universal Bonding Agent & Bathroom Tiling

Looking for advice from Tilers who have used this stuff please.

Had wall re-skimmed prior to tiling above bath for shower use. Let plaster dry a couple of weeks then painted neat bonding agent on wall (as per instructions on container) before tiling. Have tiled one significant area of wall but now notice on another wall that bonding agent has stuck but can be peeled off like a skin from plaster - doesnt look like it has keyed as well I I would expect. Just phoned BAL who tell me I should have used 4:1 soution so as to soak it into plaster. Seems logical and I should have checked before however existing tiles seem to be reasonably well fixed and I cant pull them off by hand but I imagine they would come off if I got a scraper behind with tile and cement intact breaking seal between plaster and bonding agent.

Tom

Could I ask why? Decent tile adhesive is designed to work straight on plaster. If the wall needed sealing it would say so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just went with instruction on back of Dunlop tile cement (tub) which said new shiney plaster should be brushed and bonded with their bonding agent......

Reply to
Tom

If it peels off easily, then I'd certainly peel it off. If you just get most of it off, it will give the adhesive some bare plaster to bond to. As Dave says, you shouldn't need to seal new plaster at all

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Cheers Stuart & Dave. Suppose I ought to see how well existing tiles are stuck before I plan next move....

Reply to
Tom

I've never actually seen Dunlop tile cement. Is this for ceramic tiles?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)