Dummy bell box

I was not suggesting that a radio was a substitute for a properly trained guard dog. However, many people, myself included, do not like dogs, many more would not want to own one and not all dogs are actually much good as guard dogs.

On a very rural property, I would have a remotely monitored alarm system, with remotely monitored CCTV covering the approaches, as I do for my factory units. They are good value for money and the independent alarm verification given by the CCTV ensures that the Police will respond.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Out in the sticks the nearest available Police officer, if there is one and note singular, maybe an hours drive away...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But I wouldn't want to live that far from civilisation. My factories are about as rural as it is possible to be in SE England. If I am up and dressed, it takes me about ten minutes to get there from being called, which the logs show as being within 30-45 seconds of the alarm activating. Over the years, the Police have failed to be there before me only twice - once when their car was on the wrong side of a level crossing and once when they had a ram raid about two minutes before my alarm went off and I saw about 8 Police cars and the helicopter on my journey into the factory.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

It has it's advantages which, IMHO, far out weigh living in any other area, particulary urban and/or cities.

Ah so not very rural at all in reality. B-) Rural to me means at least

1/2 a mile between buildings and thats for the densely built up parts. Truely rural is over a couple of miles between buildings.

Police helicopter, what's one of them? 8 police cars well if the driver training lot are passing through town at the same time as *all* the local Police are in and the Area Supervisor then there might just be 8 cars... It does pee me off a bit that we pay the same for the Police as someone in an urban area but we don't even get 24/7 cover.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Timeswitch? So when the scum come round and the radio is off they break in and nick everything ......including the radio and the timeswitch. :)

Reply to
Matt

They nick the gates and grills followed by a visit to the scrapman?

Reply to
Matt

I had a boss 6 years ago who was burgled. The only thing they took was the burglar alarm, presumably in an unsucessful attempt to shut it up.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes you do. You get little or no cover, the same as everyone else.

Reply to
Huge

Spherical Objects. If you reported an active break in, or a monitored alarm gets triggered the cops would be there in under 10mins in an urban/town area. Indeed that has already been stated in this thread. For exactly the same circumstances it would be at least 40mins to over an hour for a copper to arrive here once they had gone home.

Still like I said there are bonus's to living out here. Just glanced up and watched a Buzzard soaring over the fields and over the house.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The message from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

We've had a plague of them this year. They seem to like flying over The Wrekin then gliding over here and then thermaling over the Buildwas power station. Not uncommon to see four or five in the air at once, though two or three is more common.

Reply to
Guy King

I was house sitting for someone a few years ago in a house in suburbia and around 8pm one evening a burglar alarm went off about 300 yards away, as usual it was a false alarm. Rather than stopping after 20 mins or so it just kept on going, all through the night, the next day and well into the evening. I could just about see the property in question and there was a never ending stream of people discussing this alarm at the gate. Being used to somewhere a lot quieter I hardly got any sleep. It was a warm night and I just had to have the windows open for ventilation so I resorted to pulling the end off a few cotton buds to make some earplugs.

The police, who were called all through the first night and again next morning by many people living streets away said they could do nothing, nor surprisingly could environmental health. The occupants were apparently on holiday and none of the neighbours had keys or contact numbers/addresses of relatives.

The alarm eventually stopped. Apparently someone :) :) opened the meter box and removed the main fuse, the tamper battery in the alarm box was nearly buggered so it stopped ringing not long afterwards.

Of course it ruined all the food in their freezer and buggered up their video so it failed to tape the soaps while they were away. Was I bothered? errm oh I mean errm what I meant to say is, was the person who pulled the mains fuse bothered?

Reply to
Matt

Awww, how sweet. I have a monitored alarm, and live a few miles from the county police HQ. Each year, the circumstances under which the police will attend are made more restrictive. The alarm company are of the opinion that eventually the police will not attend domestic alarm activations at all.

We get those, too. And yet I can still get a curry delivered.

Reply to
Huge

Humm I think the quote goes: "if you find yourself at home in urgent need of police assistance, phone them, then a pizza delivery service, see which arrives first!"

Reply to
badger.badger

Easy the police, no pizza deliveries here.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not seen so many this year, last yeat a pair would sit on one of the walls above a rabbit warren an watch... There was something else hunting over the same field as the Buzzard this afternoon but don't know what it was. Almost completly white underside to the wings when it landed on a wall but wasn't really big enough to be a Buzzard, it didn't have the right wing shape either and was fairly agile.

We've seen a lot more of the Stoat this year though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The message from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

Perhaps you have local elections coming up.

Reply to
Guy King

Whoosh...?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The message from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

Most local politicians are indistinguishable from stoats.

Reply to
Guy King