Duel Heat Towel Rail install

HI

I have installed a duel fuel heated towel rail in the bathroom. Works great on CH.. (combi boiler) now need to wire it for summer use !!

Need advice;

Electric cable from radiator goes through wall to cupboard which used to have hotwater tank in it, and therefore wall plug that used to be used for immersion heating element.

I want to put a Digital timer in there... am I correct .... electric plug to timer..timer to radiator ? is this OK ? ( i believe the heating element in these radiators have there own theomstat.)

Next; do I close off the values on the radiator in the summer ... have 2 installed (on in and out).... so the heated water does not travel out of the radiator and round the system .

An advice ..pointers... or to say all is OK in my set up would be great.

Thank you in advance...

ramrod

RCD protected I hope.

My parents never close a valve off and they have no problems, however they have the pipework rising to the rads, it might be different if the pipework ran down to the rads.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I would be worried about having no pressure relief if the valves are closed.

I would leave one open half a turn.

Baz

Reply to
Baz

The towel rails that are electric-only - i.e the oil-filled ones - have expansion space within, so it's obviously a consideration (although the expansion rates of the two liquids will, I expect, differ quite a bit).

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

It is the possible steam pressure, if the stat fails, that would worry me.

Baz

Reply to
Baz

The towel rail (elec. only) that we have is only 80 watts. Not sure it even has a stat (although there may be a thermal cut-out). It takes quite some time to warm up.

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

Thanks for your advice... will put rcd on plug for towel rail ....

Also will leave value open on towel rad ... in heat leave area to pipe work will close one valve...

Thanks guys !

Reply to
ramrod

Sounds good to me. A basic plug-in timer should suffice too, they're cheaper and more reliable than digital ones.

NT

Reply to
Tabby