Drywall screws

A very simple short question for you....

What size drywall screws should I use if Im building a partition wall with 47 x 75mm timber and 12mm plasterboard?

My guess would be so the screw goes at least halfway into the timber, so approx 40mm length screws?

any advice, as always much appreciated!

Reply to
Thomarse

Just remembered the other part of my question.. what size screws would I need to attach the soleplates etc to floors and walls and the studs and noggins to the frame?

Thanks again

Reply to
Thomarse

Consider how little force is needed to rip the plasterboard off the screws entirely, and rethink your assumption that it needs to go halfway into the timber.

20mm is more than enough.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have a look at this:-

Rumble

quoted text -

good point philosopher... I'm just too keen to make things as strong as possible.. my common sense gets left behind sometimes!

Reply to
Thomarse

An inch into wood, and an inch and a half into masonry is what I aim for with size 8 screws

Reply to
Stuart Noble

indeed, if the screw tearing out of the substrate before breaking is the aim..

OTOH you hold paper to a wall with just wallpaper paste ;-)_

I've used 4" screws into masonry to hold a TV stand up..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yup, 40 will be fine. (you would probably get away with 30mm as well)

Use the correct bits on your driver:

can use a higher speed with drywall screws than you would with other types.

Noggings to frame would be 4" 12 gauge. The sole plate and head rail, only need retaining from lateral movement, so you can use something shorter like 3".

Reply to
John Rumm

yes, it just needs to hold it. 3/4" into the timber is plenty.

12+19=32mm. Longer wont really gain you anything in real terms, and will just make the work take a bit longer, and give you less screws per charge if using codless.

NT

Reply to
meow2222