Dry Lining

Yes, so far we haven't been using any heating and I've kept the windows open... but I'm thinking that the heavy fog/mist we get around here many nights might not be the best air to be breathing.

-Kevin.

Reply to
Gunther Gloop

like total bollocks to me.

Reply to
Paxo

How about trying a small container of water and then get an air pump and air stone from an aquarium shop and try that .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

"heavy fog/mist"? That's humid air (100%RH outside, and fairly high inside at this time of year when temp difference not high). I thought you were going to get a "humidifier". Wouldn't that make it even more humid? You'll have steam coming out through the open windows. Basically you are barking up the wrong tree entirely.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

Yes it's humid air -but not very healthy. I can't keep the windows shut due to the dryness inside. My plan now involves shutting the windows and leaving a dish of water in the room.

At the very least it'll allow me to rule out certain things.

Fibreglass in the air, as Andrew said, was another thing I was thinking of, but I'm not sure how/if that could get in (I wasn't involved in the construction of this house).

But don't worry about it -I'll take it from here (and take it elsewhere when I need further advice).

Thanks all,

-Kevin.

Reply to
Gunther Gloop

"Yes it's humid air -but not very healthy".

Sorry to keep going on - but there is absolutely nothing unhealthy about fog and mist - if anything it eases symptoms of people with serious respiratory problems. It's not like the killer smogs of yesteryear which were heavily polluted mainly with coal smoke products

- unless you live near a motorway or a coal fired power station etc. Dish of water won't make slightest difference either.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

Ok, I'll pass that info on to the doctor who told me keep the windows shut during those nights, then. I didn't really take his advice anyway, but now that I've heard this from a bloke on a DIY newsgroup I can rest easy.

Thanks again,

-Kevin.

Reply to
Gunther Gloop

The message from "normanwisdom" contains these words:

Handwashing and not rubbing your eyes or picking your nose can help a lot.

Reply to
Guy King

If you have chronic, low level symptoms of sore throats and coughs, there are an awful lot more things that can cause this.

o If you have children, they are likely to pick up viruses from school almost continuously. o If you have recently redecorated with non-water based paints, it could be paint solvents o If you have new artificial fibre carpets or carpet tiles, these can release fairly high levels of formaldehyde, which is an irritant. o Perhaps you have a dusty environment - unsealed cement floors, for example. The dust off these can be a minor irritant. o Some forms of fungal infestation generate fungal spores, which are irritants. o If anyone smokes. o If you have an open fire - especially if smokey. o You may be sensitive to dust mites. o You may be sensitive to a food ingredient. A surprisingly large number of people are 'lactose intolerant', and it may be some other sensitivity, for example, to tartrazine, or even tomatoes. o Perhaps you don't drink sufficient non-alcoholic and non-diuretic drinks. o Have you varnished or waxed any furniture? o Do you live near a quarry, cement factory, solid fuel power station? o Could it be a pollen sensitivity? (Hayfever)

There are a lot of charlatans out there who will try and convince you that your symptoms are definitely due to one or other of the above, or even something else I've not listed, and look to relieve you of money to resolve the problem. Some even believe themselves what they say, rather than just being outright fakers. What makes you think it has anything to do with dry-lining? Something you've been told, something you've read, or some evidence or correlation you've noticed?

Cheers,

Sid

Reply to
unopened

:)

Maybe you have Sick Building Syndrome?

"Indicators of SBS include:

Building occupants complain of symptoms associated with acute discomfort, e.g., headache; eye, nose, or throat irritation; dry cough; dry or itchy skin; dizziness and nausea; difficulty in concentrating; fatigue; and sensitivity to odors. "

Reply to
marvelus

Just for the record... Last night I kept the windows shut and placed a dish of water under the bed in my daughter's room (she didn't know it was there).

This morning was the first morning in over a week that she didn't cough. Around 11am I asked her if she had any cough today. _Then_ she started coughing (when reminded of it), but it didn't have that chunky phlegm-filled globs of the past few days.

I'm glad to say that this interim measure seems to have done something to ease the problem. Of course, it could be just a coincidence -only time will tell.

Obviously I had/have some other problems/solutions in mind, but I came to this DIY forum to hopefully get some help in this particular area.

Hopefully, someone in the future with this same problem might find this thread on groups.google and overlook the swipes and petty point-scoring to find the solution that (seems to) work for me.

Obviously I won't leave a dish of water there forever, but I will certainly be doing so until I come up with something better (or for a couple of days anyway).

-Kevin.

Reply to
Gunther Gloop

Last night I had a decent night too..

Wind had dropped and with it the spores flying around EVERYWHERE..its been a year of the most amazing mushroom crops in the wild I have ever seen..and I remembered to take a boots anti allergy pill. This is peak season for crop rusts and if you are anyhere near crops and have rust allergy its been one of te worts years i can remember.

If your daughter has the sort of mild asthma that I have, then what tends to happen is a nasty tight cough until the allergy subsides, and then whatever muck is down there gets cleaned out.

It means colds usually turn bad and I've had pleurisy TWICE.

Water at this time of year when the RH is up around 70% is unlikely to help. What does help is air filtration and frankly, getting away from the sources..i've had three good days recently - two at the seaside and one in town center, ion all cases driving with window closed, aircon on and the pollen filters doing their job.

Anything is worth a try. Pinning down chronic illnesses that aren't bad or obvious enough to get you decent medical attention is a real bastard.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup. What you say makes sense. She is 5 years of age now and it's like Autumn & Winter every year sees her with the same cough ...2-3 months off & on. I've tried a lot of different things. "Fixing" dry air isn't my first attempted solution, but it's one of many ongoing attempts. She's gone off to school today sans cough, so I'm still hopeful about the dish -although I will keep in mind what you say about rust allergy too.

Thanks for your reasoned response. It was like a breath of fresh (none-too-dry) air around here. :)

-Kevin.

Reply to
Gunther Gloop

You can get cheap hygrometers that tell you whether you're in the "comfort zone" (between 40 and 60% RH IIRC), but it really shouldn't be a problem at this time of year. The worst conditions are when it's cold and sunny outside. A saucer of water doesn't affect overall humidity in the room without air circulation, hence fan operated humidifiers. The cheap ones that sit on the rads are probably as good as anything if you remember to top them up. Most airborne nasties are more mobile in low humidity so it's a good idea to keep the level up. Takes me back to when my 4 year had an attack of croup, which is a truly terrifying experience for a parent. Phoned the emergency doctor who told me to take him in the kitchen and boil the kettle. Worked like a charm and it never happened again.

Reply to
Stuart Noble