Driver Bits

Screwfix Turbo Gold?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Is this like the SDS drill, quality jigsaw thing?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Wiha diamond in screwfix quicksilver twinthreads always seem to work well for me.

That may have been an economy too far!

Yup, that can happen - even (in fact more often) with the good ones.

Reply to
John Rumm

Kind of... the Hammer drill/SDS comparison is probably closest. These tools do one job very well (drive screws). Pro's are effectiveness and they tend to be smaller and lighter. Con's are they make more noise (throught the fabric of the building as well), are quite pricey, and not much use as a general purpose drill. There are a few jobs that they do which are very hard with an ordinary drill, like sticking self tappers into metal studding.

As to the difference in results between price ranges, I can't comment since I have not used enough different ones. Obviously if you have a particular manufacturers cordless kit, then being able to share batteries or chargers may be useful.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd say yes. I bought the Bosch 14.4v impact driver after trying it at a trade show (I already had a 14.4v bosch drill), alos tried the hitachi and a couple of others - all good, all expensive.

For heavier timbers I use quite a lot of 6 *100mm turbogold or Spax(slightly better IMO) - these have PZ3, much less prone to breaking bits.

I had been using Wiha diamond bits, but bought a single Wera PZ3 diamond bit - and rate it cut above.

Oh and get a 1/2" drive adaptor for your impact driver, super for loosening (moderately tight) and spinning off nuts and bolts.

dom