Conspiracy theory?

Hi All

Has to be a conspiracy. Last week I treated a shed with Creosote Sub. Looked at the coverage on the can & decided 2 x 4 litres would be easily enough.

Ran out leaving an area 18" x 24" untreated, had to buy another 4 litres.

Think about it though. The same happens with emulsion paint, wallpaper paste, mortar, plaster, you name it. How many of us have three quarters of a tin of something in the garage?

They must know how big the average shed, room etc is. Exactly how big - then they deliberately package the stuff it 'too big' or too small' containers.

A why is one bottle of wine not quite enough, but two is too much?

What do you think?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Surely you can use it on another job?

Oh come on! Ehat's the average room?

Two is never too much. Unless it's poor wine, when one bottle would be too much.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm convinced of it.

Also wine boxes say that the contents will keep for 3 months. They don't ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Have you ever tried?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Bring back quarts and pints, I say - rather than litres and half litres.

*They* were always right for a job!

Seriously, there *is* a conspiracy - and it's described in the first part of your post - and that's that the actual coverage is nothing like it says on the tin. If they ever achieved that coverage it must have been under artificial idealised conditions - a bit like vehicle fuel economy measurements!

Reply to
Roger Mills

While I concur with your paint coverage experience, our car consistently delivers a higher MPG than the published figure, and that's with me

*really* putting my foot down.
Reply to
Grunff

Not very hard, no....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yesterday, on an ill fated trip to Ikea at Lakeside, I nearly reached the claimed 53mph of my VW, assuming the dash readout isn't lying[1] on the A21/M25. I got it up to 52mpg, then spent 2 hours in a traffic jam at the Dartford tunnel and beyond watching it go down to 41! Never again, Croydon next time...

On the plus side, Ikea was half empty so that was quite pleasant.

Tim

[1] Then I know the speedo overreads by about 6-7mph at 70 (including the odometer and related gubbins by the same proportion) so that works in its favour...
Reply to
Tim S

That's it! Nail on head! I never used to run out when it was imperial!

Good point.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well with food, I always cook slightly more than enough for two, and the dogs get whats left.

Got any dogs need creosoting?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think the more coverage they can claim, the more sales they'll get from people that check the labels. Then once you've bought it youre not going to finish the job with someone else's product. Retailers play these sort of marketing games routinely, but it has nothing to do with conspiracy.

Conspiracy: a secret agreement between two or more people to perform an unlawful act

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Funny how often the words "ill-fated trip" and "Ikea" appear in the sentence, isn't it?

SWMBO's had no less than than three in the last couple of weeks (ill-fated trips to Ikea), that is. One of them was to their new store in Greater Manchester, on its opening day (yes, don't ask). Apart from the usual issue of not having items in stock that they'd said they did, on that trip the entire vicinity of the store was swarming with security blokes in hi-vi vests - this was presumably to avoid another PR disaster like the last opening

But relatively few punters turned up, and those that did were directed from the road to the carpark by long rows of hi-vis vests, all bored out of their brains standing shoulder to shoulder, pointing their hands in the direction of travel. The rows extended all the way through the airport-sized carpark, which was totally coned off apart from a tiny area in one corner, where all the incoming vehicles were compelled to wait in line while each one was directed into the next available parking bay.

Oh well, at least it meant that when SWMBO got back to her car with trolley laden down with a heavy sofa bed there were plenty of willing volunteers to help her manhandle it into the car... yeah, right.

David

Reply to
Lobster

That means it was half full :-(