Drills

I would like to thank all those who have replied to my earlier question
I'm afraid my brain does not like inconsistency - and technical term always puzzle me until resolved. However, I have gate post to fix I've no idea of the type of brick the post is affixed. Although an SD drill would seem to be the better option, I think my budget will onl stretch to a "mid-range" hammer drill, unless I can an SDS in a sal (any particular brand? I was told that RYOBI were reasonable).
AK
-- akmirza

For your job, maybe drilling 50mm*10mm into brick, the cheapest, low-end hammer drill will work just fine.
I went into homebase last week, and obtained, for 17.99 or so, a 'Power Base 550W hammer drill kit', along with a 3 year guarantee. PB550HD is the model number.
It was for use in relatively confined spaces, so weight and size was important to me.
It will not drill as fast as a SDS into very hard brick with a 10mm bit, however, as you only have one hole to do, this is not an issue.
(A quick review, for others. Decent speed control, not much vibration, hammer/not switch not too bad, and no stupid keyless chuck, which in budget models basically doesn't work)

Try drilling Stafford Blues with an ordinary hammer drill. You won't get far.
--
*A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Isn't a Stafford Blue a breed of pig? In that case I'm not surprised an ordinary hammer drill isn't suitable.
Dave
akmirza wrote:

Mid range "ordinary" hammer drill with reverse and variable speed (so you can drive and remove screws with it as well): http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p 0210700&r!09&g5
The first mid range SDS that does not weigh a ton: http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId 001&langId=-1&catalogId801&productId2156&Trail=C%24cip%3D28884.DIY%2C%2Bgarden%2Band%2Bcar%3EC%24cip%3D28935.DIY%2Bpower%2Btools%3EC%24cip%3D28939.Power%2Bdrills&categoryId(939&clickfrom=name or http://tinyurl.com/7gd2w
Cheap and chearful, will do this job just fine. A low end to mid range tool: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p 0210490&r!09&g5
A rare beast - a low end SDS that is still in the 2kg class: http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr952
or same again but with more power and chisel function: http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr512
--