dried/clogged colour inkjet cartridge rejuvenation tips please?

HP colour cartridge - old stock - blue and cyan OK, yellow not working...any top tips for persuading it to? or surefire ways to knwo its sh@gged and better get another? :>) ta JimK

Reply to
JimK

Depending on the cartridge, ISTR they started to "force" the "use by" date on the cartridge by reading the date from the electronics in the cart and refusing to print once the date passed...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

ah - well it will print in colour but minus any yellow - so cyan and magenta are OK and it's a vintage HP840C so doubt there's anything flash about it...

ta JimK

Reply to
JimK

I had the 870Cxi - great printers !

One thing you might not know about which might make it useful still is that manufacturers use the yellow ink to secretly "mark" the prints (it can see seen under a blue light) - it gives the date and serial number of the printer used, and is ISN'T a function of the driver used - they do this secret mark-up regardless.

If you need to print any legal documents "after the event" perhaps that's the one to use ;-)

(i.e. EPOA - enduring power of attorney forms etc. - the system that replaced it is more expensive, complicated, and harder to manage)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

wipe it with water or meths spirit soaked rag. Or bin it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The driver software should include management tools (Windoze, of course). The tools should include various severities of cartridge cleaning options to get ink flowing again.

Also, the inks are water based so gently wiping the bottom of the cartridge with a damp paper kitchen towel should show streaks of yellow from the built in jets if there is still viable yellow ink in the cartridge.

However, having gone down that route with neglected HP cartridges recently you will be lucky to revive it. Probably borked.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

In article , JimK writes

After trying wiping with alcohol etc, try attempting to print on a sheet of paper lightly sprayed with ammonia. Very last resort is a wipe with an ammonia dampened paper towel.

Reply to
fred

Hope to get something for it on Ebay, and buy a colour laser instead. The best thing I did!

Reply to
<me9

I've also left the printhead resting in a pool of water for a few hours - softens up dried on stuff blocked in the jets. (This is the HP type where the cartridge /is/ the printhead, so a failure just means binning the cartridge)

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

The recently revived Morgan Computers have some great offers on colour laser printers. There's a Dell 1320cn which comes with two sets of compatible toner cartridges for only £129.99 inc VAT, new.

Bruce

The size of the bloody thing though.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

True, but with all those different toners, a colour laser printer will never be small.

Reply to
Bruce

Recently revived? What happened to them, then?

Reply to
Huge

You could take it to Cartridge world and see if they can re-fill it. They have an ink purging machine that they use for their processing. If it is not a genuine HP one, then bin it and buy a copy.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

And when the OP finds some ammonia, let us know where you bought it from. I went down this route some time ago, only to be told that it is now a controlled substance.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

In article , Dave writes

fred

Mine is huge, 18 by 21 by 12 inches high, but I see the price of them is coming down quite well these days. There are lots of options sub £150-00. That is what I paid for mine over 3 years ago and it had full toner carts in it to boot. I bought one, the store manager bought one and some other lucky devil got the last one. They thought they only had the one on the discount display, but there were another two boxed in the warehouse.

I had been in the store looking at what was on offer and asked the manager to box it up for me, leaving him time to get everything back in the box. Before I had got back home he phoned me to say that he had found the others in the warehouse and I could have one of them. I turned the car round and went back for it before it got sold to someone else :-)))

The quality of photo it can do is quite good, but you can't print to glossy paper and expect a glossy photo, it will print out matt. That is the only fault with mine. Perhaps they will develop one that can make glossy photos soon.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

ISTR it's only the clear ammonia that's restricted (it's a common component in things that go boom), the cloudy stuff can't be used for that I believe ?!?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

with it. Until I read the post below, I wasn't even aware that there were two types.

Many thanks to both posters.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Yes but at the end of the day, a chemist is just another "bloke said". I wanted some IPA to try and clean a circuit board. Went into boots and was given this massive lecture about how it was now banned etc etc ... went to Maplins and bought 2L of it, no questions.

Reply to
Jethro