Powerdrivers - tips please!

I finally took the plunge and bought one of these things recently - nothing very exciting, just B&Q's 14.4V PP at 30 quid. However, never having used one of these things in anger before I'd appreciate some tips!

I find it chews up cross-head bits at a rate of knots. Is it likely that I'm using the wrong bit/screw combination (how do you identify them?)? Related to this I'm also having difficulty setting the right torque I think - is there anything more to it than just trial and error?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

  1. Make sure if it's a Pozi head you use a Pozi bit, and if it's a Philips head you use a Philips bit. Pozi have 4 extra "mini" splines as well as the 4 main ones.
  2. Use the biggest bit that comfortably fits in the head. It should be a nice snug fit.
  3. Drive slowly to start with.
  4. Keep the bit as perpendicular as possible to the screw head.
  5. Apply a lot of downwards pressure as you drive the screw.
  6. Once the bit starts getting chewed up, stop using it.
  7. Buy good quality bits - the ones that come with most tools are awful.

You will eventually discover that while driving Pozi screws with power drivers is perfectly possible, Pozi sucks. You will hopefully eventually discover the joys of Spax Torx.

Have fun.

Reply to
Grunff

There are a number of ways to address this:

- Make sure that you have the correct sized bit for the screw

- Start with a low torque setting and progressively increase until adequate for the job you are doing.

- Push the driver firmly into the screw socket as you drive

- If the material is relatively hard going (e.g. deep screw or hardwood) then drill a pilot hole first.

- Use screws with lubricant or lubricate the screws with a touch of wax

The point is to prevent the bit from leaving the socket as much as you can.

You can also get hardened bits, e.g. from Screwfix which will take more punishment.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

On 22/02/2004 Lobster opined:-

Make sure you are using the right bit for the screw, the correct size of bit will have no free play in a screw head. Make sure the bit is properly located in the screw before squeezing the trigger and put plenty of weight on it. Set the torque down to minimum, then gradually increase it until it is just enough to turn the screw fully home.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

well as the 4 main ones.

Rubbish.

If you're using the bit as a drill (i.e. letting it slip in the screw head], it will get shagged out quickly. It will then slip in other screw heads, too.

..but be careful not to tip the screw over else your workpiece will sustain a jag from the bit hitting it!

Throw it away in case it gets mixed up with good bits!

Consider buying a box of bits.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

No it isn't.

A Phillips type crosshead is basically just that - a cross. As Grunff said the Pozidrive typw has 4 small 'splines' between the main cross head 'Splines' , if you look at a pozi screw you can see small extra little 'slots' that these extra splines fit into.

Also the depth of the socket in the head of the screw is different. I always for get which is which, but I think the socket depth of the Pillips is a bit shallower, with a more rounded end to the bit.

Reply to
chris French