Drayton TRV vs Screwfix 4.79 cheapie

Back in September last, several of our Drayton TRVs failed & I decided to change all of them while the system was drained.

Since the shiny (mis)design of the Drayton TRVs make it difficult for our hands to turn them nowadays I was tempted by and bought the Screwfix cheapies, (Product Code: 32130) as they are wonderfully easy to grip.

However, these cheapies are not responsive to being adjusted like the Draytons were.

Should I switch back to Drayton or is there an alternative that works?

Reply to
usenet2012

I was told by our local plumbers merchant that Drayton's patents have now expired, so there are some copies about - with similar mechanicals but a different (and more hand friendly) exterior. I got a few to try - too early to tell how long they last, but so far seem to be ok.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks muchly again John.

Reply to
usenet2012

usenet2012 wrote in news:E+tgTsPKYu$ snipped-for-privacy@stejonda.org.uk:

Doesn't fiddling with them negate the advantage of a Thermostatic valve? I have mine all locked with the stop pegs. 2.5 bedrooms; 3 downstairs.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

How often are you changing them, and why? If you have a poor grip, some rubber gloves will make it easy.

My experience of cheap TRVs is you get what you pay for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , DerbyBorn writes

Am I using them wrong? During the day the bedrooms are turned down to 2 but in the evening they are turned up to 4.

Reply to
usenet2012

Danfoss RAS-C2. Look plastickey but built like a brick shithouse and nice smooth action. Can also genuinely be fitted either way round on either flow or return and if water hammer occurs you twist an adjustment ring on the body of the valve and it reverses the flow through the valve. Target price about a tenner. One slight gotcha: the protrusion of pipe into the valve body is a few mm less than on most other valves so if your pipework has absolutely no play on it (e.g. bedded in a concrete floor) you'll have to saw off a little of the pipe to make it fit.

Reply to
YAPH

Not too bad I suppose - but it could be best to perhaps leave on 3 and close the door during the day. The room will reach the temperature and the radiator will turn itself off (subject to insulation, windows, etc). 4 might be an impossible temperature for the room to reach.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

+1. Also beware on eBay, I recently bought some chinese fake draytons by mistake because I didn't read the ad carefully enough; they look identical but they are crap.
Reply to
newshound