Draught under front door

What is the best way to stop a draught under the front door? I've tried brush strips, but they don't seem all that good.

I was in a house that had a brass strip under the door, which seemed pretty effective. Is this a standard method? If so, where can one buy such a strip? My local builders' supply had not heard of it.

The door is old (150 years), very heavy and slightly frayed at the bottom.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Stormguard? That is designed to stop rain washing in, so it should stop everything else. Whether your gap is parallel and of stuitable dimesions for it is another question though...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Do you mean 'Atomic Strip' ? See

or from Amazon

Chris Hogg

Door snake, e.g.:

Frank Erskine

An uneven surface will be hard to draught proof. Presumably this door opens inwards and that the face is not smooth such that a stormguard threshold won't seal against it. Assuming that a stormgruard is acceptable appearance wise. For somthing to seal against the bottom of the door, the door needs to be fairly smooth and flat, "atomic strip" will require that. It can take up small shallow undulations but I wouldn't describe that as "frayed". A brush inside can work but if the floor over the arc of the door rises relative to where the brush needs to be with the door closed can make opening/closing the door difficult. You might be able to cure that with a something for the brush to seal against at the threshold that enables the brush to be fitted that little bit higher.

Or you could use a loose sausage draft excluder or one of the things that is fixed to the door but rides up/down as the door is opened.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We used Stormguard 2-Part Trimline Threshold 1828mm from Screwfix Product Code: 24117 Much better than the brush strip it replaced,

Have a look on the Stormguard website, lots of information and diagrams so you can see if it is suitable Norma

Reply to
donotreply

Thanks very much for all the responses.

It looks as though Stormguard should fit the bill, though it seems from their site

that the exact choice will require some research ...

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Reply to
Mr Pounder