Question about sealing front door/water coming in under door

Hi,

We've recently had a new wooden front door and frame fitted by the builder who did our loft extenstion. It's a terraced house with no porch or covering around/over the door.

The door is set into the door frame which has a stop all around it that is about 15mm thick. There is a 2-3 mm clearance between the base of the door and the frame behind the stop.

The door is letting in water under heavy rain which is seeping under the door onto the carpet in the hallway.

I've complained to my builder who says that it will let in water if there is "driving rain" and that there is nothing he can do about it.

Before I get into a discussion about this with him, can anyone advise me about the best way of sealing the door at the bottom?

I've seen on friends houses a metal strip that runs across the base of the door frame.

Thanks, Phil B.

Reply to
Phil Barnes

Thats what it should have. Also on the outside there should be the curved bit of wood on the bottom of the door (I forget the exact term) to deflect rain and makes it drip away from the door. You can get these in most DIY places for a few quid. They are usually made of hardwood.

Reply to
BillR

I've got both of those on the door which goes to the roof terrace - and it's a custom well made door, as is the frame. And water still gets blown in under certain wind conditions.

The door opens inwards, but there's no reason why it couldn't open outwards. Would that be any advantage?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In message , Dave Plowman writes

It depends on what you have as the 'metal strip' - the old type metal 'rain bar' is limited, even with a good weather bar

On our backdoor which does get exposed to driving rain at times I fitted one of the Stormguard sills

Something like the one shown on the page below, though it also has a aluminium weather bar on the door as well to help deflect water away. The design of it means that any water that blows under the door gets caught and then drains away outside (there are drainage holes in the front not shown)

Reply to
chris French

Hi,

The strips you refer to are made by (probably amongst others) Stormshield - you can get them in any good DIY store. They are well designed and certainly protect against driving rain.(in fact, IIRC, they guarantee it - check out what they say on the packaging.)

Alan.

Reply to
Alan Campbell

Ive got both of these AND overhanging eaves and the water STILL drives in.

I am thinking of a sticky bit of foam on the front edge of the metal strip next.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's definitely the baby to fit; really effective. (OT - I live about 200 yards from where they are made as it happens, in an old Georgian mill - I'd always wondered what went on there until the day I fitted one of these to my door, and spotted the manufacturer's address!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes - it's simply an aluminium strip which water must get blown over, as it's well sealed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Try the Stormguard sills mentioned elsewhere in the thread, they really are very effective.

Reply to
chris French

Bit ugly for what I need, but definitely interesting none the less....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher