Draper power tools: 20% off at Focus

Hello,

I spent my lunch hour window shopping. Whilst in Focus I saw they had a 20% off all power tools. It seems to be mainly Black & Decker and Draper. The draper is badged "Draper red line". I have tried to google but cannot find any mention of this "red line" range. Is it exclusive to Focus?

What are the opinions on B&D and Draper? I realise they won't be as good as Bosches and Makitas etc. I'm unsure about the Draper. I think they rebadge some good stuff for Wickes but OTOH all I could find via google was pretty uncomplimentary.

I'm looking for a cheap router and I figured £40 less 20% would take me into Aldi price territory ;) Is the Draper red line router any good do you know?

TIA Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

There's a good wiki article, but I'm blowed if I can find it, perhaps it is not in diyfaq.

General consensus is that cheap routers are not good value, which is consistent with my experience as a limited user of them. I have a green bosch 1/4 inch which is OK but not very powerful, and a Silverline 1/2 inch which has the power and is soft start, but the "plunge" and the adjustments are pretty horrible.

IME some of the Draper non-power tools are quite reasonable value for money. Havn't bought B&D for a long time (apart from a Workmate)

Reply to
newshound

Its in the faq not the wiki:

John Rumm

For routers? Pretty low to tell the truth.

You have not said what you want to do with it. That makes a huge difference as to what size machine you need and what level of finesse you can cope with (or more likely without).

See the FAQ link I posted elsewhere for more background...

Reply to
John Rumm