drain pipe angle

I'm thinking of putting in some drainage for the guttering (and outside tap) at one end of our house - currently it all just spills out across part of the lawn / driveway, and it'd be nice to route it under the drive and into the woodland beyond.

Is there some kind of minimum recommended angle for such pipework so that it'll stand a reasonable chance of doing the job without quickly silting up? (I can't remember what I did for the guttering now, although 1" drop every 6' rings a bell)

I'll probably use 3" pipe if I can find* any (currently the only stuff I've seen is flexible 'corrugated' stuff which seems like it's just asking for trouble) and hopefully the slope is enough that I can have it come out into the woods above ground so I don't need any kind of fancy soakaway...

  • I'm in the US these days, and nobody here really 'does' drainage of rainwater...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Underground drainage is usually 1 in 40. In the UK you would be required to use 4" pipe and possibly cover with or encase in concrete if there was a risk of damage from vehicles crossing above.

Reply to
RubberBiker

Ta :)

Yep - still at the ideas phase; I do need to protect with *something* as vehicles will be going over the top (the worst probably being when the truck comes for LPG delivery) - not frequently, but still...

I had wondered about a brick/concrete drainage channel covered with metal grating, as that could be right at surface level and also much easier to clean, but I've not found a source of suitable grating yet (I *could* make by chopping / welding 3/4" metal rod, but that's some major work)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules