Dowel diameter

I'm planning to make some freestanding shelves from 15mm melamin

board(300mm wide). The boards will be joined with glued dowels. What is the normal dowel diameter for a job like this? 6mm or 8mm

-- Jimbo

Reply to
Jimbo

I should think that 6mm dowels would be stronger as there would be more "meat" around them. However, if you're relying on dowels alone I shouldn't put anything heavy on the shelves! Could you get some of those plug-in metal angles used in kitchen fitting? Would be easier and stronger.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

You'd do better to rout a 5mm blind rebate.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thanks Chris. Good point. I was thinking about those metal angl doo-das. They sell them at good old B&Q

-- Jimbo

Reply to
Jimbo