Gas Leak

Called out by a tenant this morning as she could smell gas - tested with leak detecting fluid - couldn't find anything - it was obviously very slight. Using our noses we homed in on the area round the governor - it was definitely there. It was a new meter 9 months ago, but the governer looked a good bit older and I noticed some corrosion around one of the annular corrugations on the pipe. Got British Gas out and they confirmed it was the pipe between the incoming main and the governor, but maintained that whoever ran the pipe work from the meter had dropped flux onto the pipe and not wiped it off - and had burnt throught the pipe in less than 6 months!! We know that copper resists the corrosion by flux for many years - I believe it was dicussed recently - but this pipe (the flexible one) isn't copper and is apparently easily corroded by flux - be warned. Unless he was telling porkies!
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:17:20 +0000 (UTC), "Hugh"

So the corroded pipe is iron? Perhaps he was just guessing?
Mr F.
Mr Fizzion wrote:

Sounds like one of those stainless steel corrugated things... There is a warning in the FAQ, see "Purge Procedure point 7":
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html
--
Cheers,

John.

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:17:20 +0000, Hugh wrote:

He wasn't this is a known problem, flux attacks stainless steel very quickly. Were they refusing to fix it because of the negligent installers, or just whinging?

It was all changed without any fuss - he was just pointing out the probable cause - and it appears he was spot-on in his diagnosis. I would have thought a change of material for the anaconda pipe would be prudent considering how easily it corrodes. Hugh