Double Glazing Query

I have recently had a new double glazing unit with a cat flap fitted to an existing double glazed back door. The glazing company came round, measured up, and came back a couple of weeks later with a new unit, took the old one out and put the new one in. After they had left, I went to clean the glass and noticed that the unit moved in the frame: there was approximately 5mm gap between the glass unit and the inside of the frame, meaning that as I cleaned the glass, the unit moved forwards in the door.

I called the company who reluctantly agreed to come back as I thought there was a problem. After much grumbling, they took the unit out, applied a layer of self-adhesive foam to the edge of the glass and put the unit back in again. The glazier said that in a long panel of glass (this panel is the height of a normal door), some movement was normal.

Having looked at every other double glazed unit in my flat (in the other half of the back door and the windows), none of them move: they all fit snuggly in the frame. Also, when looking at the other half of the back door in which the glass unit was not replaced, the new unit appears (although I can't measure it) to be thinner.

Can any one let me know whether I should be calling the glaziers back again to complain, or whether it is normal that the unit should move a few millimetres when cleaning it and that putting a layer of foam between the unit and the inside of the frame is acceptable. I'm certainly no expert, but I've not seen this on any other window and my gut reaction is that if they had measured the unit properly, it would have fit perfectly, without the need for "padding". Maybe I'm wrong though?

Reply to
alongney

The glass shouldn't move and I personally wouldn't accept a strip of foam on a new made to measure sealed unit! The glass is supposed to be held in place tight by the beads.

By the sounds of it they messed up the measurements!

Also your double check that your new glass is toughened.

Reply to
cucumber

You should also have a read of this

cucumber

No, it shouldn't move. And when you consider that the glass is probably the cheapest part of the product there's something very wrong with a company that won't admit to the fault and make a new window to fit.

tim

Reply to
tim (back at home)

Sounds like it was made using wrong size spacers, making the sealed unit the wrong thickness.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The unit should be a very tight fit or it'll let water through the outside seal. Make them replace it or at least pack the gap between the inside beads and the glass with a pvc strip. I wouldn't accept the foam fix.

Reply to
Stuart Noble