Double glazing panes and frames

My house was double glazed a few years ago (pretty standard white uPVC) and I have just found that a timber (4 x 2) into which one large (floor to ceiling) window is fixed has some rot in it. Since I am going to be doing some work on the wall on the other side of this timber, it seems sensible to deal with the rot at the same time. Now I could cut the section at the bottom out and jiggle a new bit in, or I could replace the whole lot (which I'm sure is the right thing to do). I presume the frame of the double glazing is screwed into said timber so, since I'll be exposing the 'other' side, I was thinking that deglazing the frame but leaving it in situ would be the way to go.

So, my question is how to extract the sealed units from the frame so I can get at all this. I know these units are glazed from the inside but it's not entirely obvious how to remove the beading that holds the glazing in. I kind of assume that it's a matter of sliding something thin into the side of the bead and levering it out but I don't really want to wreck it without knowing what might be underneath. The beading seems to be a pretty close fit and I'm sure it's all fairly prone to denting and scratching. Does anyone happen to know whether a) all d/g units are basically the same ( in which case I can have a furtle around at Wickes or somewhere to get a good idea) or b) if there's a good source of (ideally illustrated) information somewhere, where I could see the various configurations before going at this.

Thanks chaps...and no prizes for the person who suggests going at it with and SDS drill.....:)

Reply to
GMM

I had to do the very same thing a few years ago and I was advised by the maker, by using pointed pliers, to get hold of the rubber seal in the glazing bar, at one end and pull it out at about 30 degrees from the window, by stretching it (they are quite strong). This removes a lot of pressure from the bar. Find a flat scraper that is no more than about 25 mm wide and try to prise the bar towards the centre of the window at the middle of it, until you can get a grip of it and then pull the bar towards the centre of the window and it will pop out. If you can't get the bar out, try another scraper under the first one, when you get the first one fully inserted and use them together

Once you have the first one out, you can do the above bar removal from the ends of the other glazing bars, providing that you work in a circle around the window. Make sure that you have someone holding the glazing and I recommend that the last bar to come out should be the top one.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

My tool of choice would have been an angle grinder with a stone cutting wheel :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The angle grinder it is then!

More seriously, thanks Dave, I hadn't really thought of attacking the seal first....(before someone else asks, I suppose a baseball bat would be good if it's a small seal......)

Reply to
GMM