Hot water dispenser?

We're just about to have a new kitchen fitted, I'm wondering about a hot water dispenser (e.g. insinkerator, hotta).

Any opinions pro/con?

Thanks,

- guy

Reply to
Guy Snape

Are you so addicted to coffee and so short of time that you cant wait for a cupful of water in a kettle to boil?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Are you so cold you can't wait for a log fire to get going? Are you so hungry you can't cook a proper meal? Are you in such a hurry you can't walk everywhere? Are your computing needs so great you can't use a 486? Are you in such a hurry to speak you can't write a letter?

Etc. etc.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

I couldn't help wondering how much electricity it uses? It must be cutting in regularly so will partly depend on the insulation.

I guess, if you need 100 cups an hour, a possiblity. But if you really need that much water, two catering boilers or a few kettles would actually provide redundancy - which this would not.

Do you have potable hot water (e.g. from a combi)? If so, you could be half way to boiling out of the tap already.

Reply to
Rod

a log fire takes and hoir or more to h=get going: i can boil a cup of water in less than a minute.

ocasionally, but I hve plenty of knives and thats the only capital investment in sandwich making.

yes, but whilts I can bold a cup of water ina munute, it would take me three hours to walk to the supermarket.

Probably not: but I am not sure I could get a 486 anymorte.

Mostly i wrote letters.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Partner has just pointed out that tea making instructions always say "freshly boiled water". I believe that this is partially based on the idea of the oxygen content of the water falling as it is boiled and then kept hot.

Reply to
Rod

Also instant hot water dispensers dispense at about 90degC. For tea to mash properly you need 100degC. Good for coffee though.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I checked the site for one (insinkerator - name is enough to put me off!). It said 96 was default but could be set to 98. Probably good enough if that is 'as it emerges' temperature. But I can't help thinking that you would in practice end up with it being lower due to standing water in the pipe. Unless you pour near-boiling water down the sink every time you use it.

Reply to
Rod

Quite so. That's enough to make it a non-starter, thanks.

Not much point putting it in my espresso machine.

- guy

Reply to
Guy Snape

We have one of those at our church. I can confirm the tea tastes

*terrible*.

Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak

-We have one of those at our church. I can confirm the tea tastes

-*terrible*.

Ditto at my place of work!

If you want to make a very large pot of tea (as if) you can mash superstrong from a kettle for 2mins and then top up from the dispenser to the required strength - that tastes the best. It's undrinkable if mashed from the dispenser

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Anyone mentioned the Tefal quick cup yet? They work quite well. They are popular with the elderly as they only have cold water in them when they knock them over.

Reply to
dennis

The reason that I am agin these beasts is tat we had one isntalled at the inistence of a rabid tea drinker, who wanted always instant tea. Despite the fact it was vile, his pride made him use it..everyone else used the kettle.

To be honest, the next company we had, he wasn't there, and we didn't. In fact the rule became 'fill teh kettle up and leave it on'

That way there was always a kettle full of hot water during busy times of the day, and it was hotter, and usually took seconds only to boil.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You know what I mean, silly bollocks.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

We have one at work. Expensive, short lived, needs lots of maintenance, and not hot enough for tea.

I find a decent kettle will boil enough water for a mug while I'm getting the mug tea/coffee and milk out.

Get the most powerful one you can, get a "cordless" one (power base) and make sure it's one where the base is circular and the power thingy is in the middle. Trust me, the ergonomics are best that way.

(We bought the boiler 'cos the boss was fed up with us killing kettles every 3 months. So I've seen a *lot* of kettles!)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ