Double-glazing installation snag!

glazed units to make the frame easier to install, I was aghast to find that the units were securely stuck to the frame with 10mm-wide, 3mm thick doubl e-sided adhesive foam tape. Other windows I've known had a nice rubber seal that one pulls out, and then pushes back into place after the external cli p-strips are in place. I had to run a box cutter around the units to releas e them, thereby damging the foam tape. So now I'm faced with a choice of:

oving all of the old stuff (which would be time consuming, and also making way for another headache if ever I have to replace on of the units in futur e).

some 5mm rubber tubing and pushing that in, around the edges of the interna l side, after the clip-strips are back in place. Or even perhaps using sili cone. Inserting a standard/typical rubber seal doesn't seem to be an option , because there is no special recess in the frame for it to snap into.

I'm astonished the beads are external. Haven't seen a window like that for years. Most are internal for security reasons.

Reply to
harry

Please explain how externally glazed windows (or this type) are in any way less secure than internally glazed windows harry?

Reply to
T i m

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes, I think that system was mentioned elsewhere.

Ours all use the DS tape idea and I know you can easy take the external glazing bead out, you would have to smash the glass to get the DG unit out.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m