Double door rebate

I'd like to change the 1960's sliding doors between our lounge and dining room to a pair of double doors.

In order to match the other doors in the house I was thinking of buying two ordinary doors, routing a rebate on them and using a rebated mortice latch. However the door are 'engineered' panel doors and I would be limited to a rebate of about 7 or 8 mm. Is this a sufficient overlap (it doesn't seem much after allowing for a gap of perhaps a couple of mm), or do I really need more? Does a small overlap like this cause problems with the rebate latch, or can I just recess the latch and striker to match the rebate depth.

Roger

Reply to
googlegroups

Depending on the colour match etc, have you considered gluing/pinning an oval beading down the back edge of one door, and the front edge of the other?

Reply to
David P

do double doors in most styles, you seem to have to phone them for a price.

Rebating like you suggest would look odd.

Reply to
mark d