Door saddle/threshold

I've just tiled my hallway with slate and put a floating semi-solid wooden floor in my livingroom (glued tongue & groove). The house is new, so existing floor was just bare concrete with door saddles on the concrete, in doorways. I've removed these - they were just slotted underneath doorway woodwork and held in place by the vertical architrave. I'm now wondering what's the best way to handle where the slate/wooden floor meet at the livingroom door. Both slate and wooden floor are at approximately the same level (within a few mm). I see two options:

  1. Use a metal/plastic wood-look T/reducer strip instead of door saddle - don't like these, think they look cheap.

  1. Fit new saddle on top of wooden floor and slate, covering the gap. Secure to concrete with a few screws/rawl plug and to wood/slate with a bit of silicone. Will require trimming of door, but think result will lokk better.

I'm in favour of option 2, as I'd like to fit matching pine door and door saddle. Any one have any thoughts?

Thanks.

Reply to
A.

This is my preferred solution, but I like to make them out of hardwood. A 3' length of nice reclaimed hardwood only costs a couple of pounds, and you get a much harder wearing finish than pine. As long as you don't mind it not matching the door.

Reply to
Grunff

How about mahing a shapped piect of wood in a "T" sort of shape, with a curved top ?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

What's a door saddle?

Reply to
Michael McNeil

It's another word for door threshold see

A.

They are directly bearing on the floor joists, not on the boards, and are jointed to the bottom ends of the stiles of the frame and keep the frame rigid and square. Maybe cill is a better word here.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor