Door hinge placement

So did I. People aren't absolutely sure why they did it, but some have so much curve on them it clearly wasn't to make it look straight.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

That sounds complicated. I just wedge the door where I want it, then put the hinges on. The door is hence going to stay where I placed it with the wedges when I remove them.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I can't find that post.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

It should be precisely even unless some of the supports aren't straight.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

It might make a difference depending on whether it is a flush door, or panelled, or whatever. The bottom of the bottom panel is further from the floor than the top of the top panel is from the top of the door. IYSWIM.

Reply to
polygonum

Yes, really.

You're forgetting about how the door is installed on the hinges.

One hinge has to go on first and that takes the weight.

The other one stops the door falling away from the jamb.

Reply to
hgww

It always can.

No, because few hinges distort like that.

Yes it does, but doesn't stop the door from coming away from the jamb at the other end of the door. That is what the other hinge does.

Reply to
hgww

I have a panelled door like that and it looks ridiculous. I'd prefer the distances to be equal.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

It doesn't matter what hinge goes on first. Most people have the door supported by wedges etc while fitting the hinges on.

Even if you didn't, if one hinge has too much weight, it'll sag a bit until the other takes some of it.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

It does actually.

Even when you do that, the weight isnt taken evenly by both hinges.

No. The last hinge just stops it coming away from the jamb.

Reply to
hgww