Doing electrics professionally

Reply to
John Stumbles

Thanks to all who replied to my thread on this subject.

The sad thing is, I completed my MCSE+I qualification five years ago. Now everyone wants an MCSE2000 engineer - I'm just not interested in going through all that again.

So I'm going to kick off my training (evening classes, if possible) as an electrician. I'd like to be a plumber too, but I'll go with my first love first; electrical power.

I already have the expertise - no really I do! I just need the bits of paper.

So could someone please advise me which courses I should complete? Things that come to mind are:

C&G2361.

16th Edition regs. Part 1 & Part 2.

I'm hoping to do all this around the Bracknell area; for as many evenings as it takes to complete.

Advice on which courses to register on would be MUCH appreciated.

Regards

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dempster

If that is correct...

Then I'd suggest going straight for the 2381; the 16th Edition exam (get yourself a copy of the brown books first, BS7671 and the OSG). That should help you decide if you really do have a clue what you're doing. It's a short course too. You can then start doing some work, and move on to the 2391 (inspection and testing) when you feel able. The 2391 is a rather more involved course.

The 2361 is, as far as I can tell, designed for people who have no real idea of electrics yet. It's a basic training which will cover areas you possibly already know. Certainly when I did my 2381 the college was perfectly happy that I do it despite not having any "real" electrical qualifications - all I had to say was that I'd done A-level physics, a degree in electronic and electrical engineering and know how to manipulate V=IR and P=VI :-) To be honest, if I'd mentioned V=IR first I don't think they'd really have needed to know about the degree...

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove