Does old PVA glue go off?

I've just recreated the classic chandelier drop scene in 'Only fools and horses' (whoops), and now have a wooden chandelier light fitting assembled with clamps, rubber bands and many squirts of PVA glue.

The glue bottle is a couple of years old, but still contains sloppy liquid. Does it decline in assembled holding strength with age?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Think it would go hard first. You did mix it well?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had a 1 litre tub, like a yougurt pot under the sink for a few years and when I came to use it, it had developed a nice thick layer of blackish mould.

However, it came off in more or less one big dollop, a bit like the crust on clotted cream and the rest of it seemed to work just fine. Smelt no different to the new stuff.

PVA really needs to be applied to nice clean wood surfaces and clamped. If you are repairing a broken, previously glued joint, you might be better off using something like Gorilla glue.

Reply to
Andrew

Well it depends on whether its been near water or open in a damp atmosphere. I've seen it be totally useless, but it still looks liquid but a little less pale than it used to be. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Two weeks ago I started cleaning out my junk room where I keep half tins of paint, half tubs of tile cement and an old tub of PVA.

Like you my tub of PVA had developed a thick layer of black mould turning the PVA into something akin to cottage cheese. The smell was rather unpleasant. This has now been chucked out along with the solid tile cement and the paint that was more skin and rust rather than liquid. There was also the 3 litres of white emulsion that had gone stagnant with a purple/green tinge.

Strangely the very old can of shit brown paint that once matched the colour of my tendy bathroom suite seemed to be in perfect condition. That too went down to the local tip.

Reply to
alan_m

If this is the same stuff that is used pre skimming then I am still using from a gallon container which must be at least 10 years old by now, I use it watered down for sticking labels to envelopes and sticking down flaps on cardboard boxes. It is still `strong` as everytime I have to make a new mix I have to use pliers to open the container. :-)

Reply to
ss

It goes mouldy eventually, 10 yrs or so, but remove the mould & what remains still glues ok if you can abide the smell.

In future I might add something to prevent mould. Not borax :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've had old stuff separate out into a clear liquid and a white rubbery solid. Frost affects it as well. Do a test before you use. Glue two bits of paper together.

Reply to
harry

You need something stronger than paper to test it. Two strips of scrap soft wood would be better and glue at right angles so you have two handles to hold when trying to pull the bond apart. You can then see if the glue to wood bond fails or it's the wood itself that is the weakest point.

Reply to
alan_m