Dodgy floor between kitchen and extension

Hi
Looking for some advice please.
Our house has an extension which was built in 1989 (not by us).
I am in the process of laying a wooden floor in one continuous run
through the old and new space created by the said extension. The gap
between the old and new had been filled with some kind of levelling
compound which was both cracked and far from level so I decided to rip
it up and start again. What I found was a little concerning.
The cavity is full of rubble and sand and there is no membrane that I
can see. I've linked to some photos below and would appreciate advice
on how I should proceed.
,
Steve
Reply to
stevelup
I've come across just the same thing in the past myself, and eventually ended up leaving it as it was (as there hadn't been a damp problem previously). I really don't know what the 'proper' answer is other than carrying out some fairly major surgery on the bricks below floor level, the floors either side of them, and the walls either side, in order to get all the relevant DPC membranes overlapped and sealed.
Would love to know what the solution is!
David
Reply to
Lobster
I'll just pour concrete in the hole then... really don't know what else to do.
Thanks for the reply.
Steve
Reply to
stevelup
Thanks,
Dear Steve Short of digging under and finding (or not!) the membrane and connecting the two you have little choice but to make the best of it I would try to get down as far as possible into the oversite and lay some ballast, then I would put a dpc injection fluid onto the exposed bricks and then apply water proof concrete made up with SIKA and Feb SBR and hope for the best! Chris
Reply to
mail
Yes, I did do that in the end. I found the DPC for the house floor but could not find one for the extension (it's possible it is lower than the house one as the property is on a hill). I did the best I could do under the circumstances. The current arrangement had been in place since 1989 with no noticeable side effects so I'm reasonably confident it will be ok.
Thanks,
Steve
Reply to
stevelup