DIY oxygen treatment? Just in case the NHS runs out.....

<snip>

That seems on the face of it to be a brain dead response.

Avoiding catching Covid but also doing basics like shopping isn't a given.

Vaccination may not be available until the middle of the year.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I usually check my partner's level first thing in the morning, while she is still in bed and her hand is warm.

I've not had problems with mine when reading over 90%. However, at lower levels it can wander across a whole range of readings, seemingly at random.

My GP (now retired) used to take my observations very seriously. When I reported a side effect from new medication, which the manufacturers said affected under 5% of patients, he asked everybody else on the same medication and came up with a figure of nearer 25%. it was simply that the others hadn't made the connection between a cough and the medication.

Reply to
nightjar

Whether it makes sense to you or not, that is my experience of using one. I get the same thing with the concentrator in my car. If I forget to crack open a window, after a while it reminds me of its presence by making the air feel heavy.

Reply to
nightjar

Indeed, if you stay in a sealed room, concentrator or not, you'll deplete the oxygen.

Reply to
GB

I'm on the Novavax Phase 3 vaccine trial. Before joining, I read the phase 1/2 trial results quite carefully, and I noticed that 30% of the participants on the placebo reported side effects.

It's not just that they were wusses. They were specifically asked to report all side effects. Also, they were on a vaccine that nobody had had before, and it's perfectly natural that they were on their guard.

Reply to
GB

Generating your own oxygen and treating yourself if you do get infected is much more brain dead.

But getting what you need delivered and not getting infected in the first place is.

Its available now/

Reply to
Fred

We haven't shopped for groceries since last March. We get everything delivered. The deliveries are left in our porch. Occasionally, we have to show age ID, but that's a passport pressed against the window.

We go out of our house for exercise, and zig zag across the road to avoid other people.

Essentially, with our lifestyle, Covid is optional, and we choose not to catch it.

I appreciate that we are quite fortunate. We live in a suburb, with quite spread out houses. And, we can afford to pay the extra for grocery deliveries.

Nevertheless, even compared to other people in our area, we are noticeably much more careful in our Covid precautions.

Reply to
GB

Are you *sure* about that?

Reply to
newshound

A lot of molecular sieves are Zeolites.

Reply to
newshound

This is where zeolites get mentioned.

Zeolites are used in:

Gas chromatograph columns. As filler for high pressure hydrogen tanks, as a means to slow the release of hydrogen. As capture matrix for R12 recovery cylinders (when they decommission an air conditioner or fridge). Oxygen concentrators.

Really pretty amazing, low key materials.

Paul

Paul

Reply to
Paul

No more than someone breathing within the same room. The rate of conversion from O2 to CO2 should be independent on whether the concentrator is used, or not.

Conservation of mass rules apply in this sealed room.

Now if the O2 is piped out of the room then that's a different matter.

Reply to
Fredxx

Yes. The O2 doesn't disappear out of the room.

Reply to
Fredxx

The only reason I said "The oxygen concentrator won't alter that significantly" is that I was thinking the patient might need to make less effort breathing with the concentrator, and so would use up less of the O2.

Reply to
GB

COVID is very hard on the lungs.

An ECMO machine could keep you alive, even if you were brain dead and your lungs were completely filled with fluid. It could even keep you going, until a lung transplant could be arranged. But with the number of people with damaged lungs, there would not be enough car-accident victims to serve the lung-transplant queue.

Any time you spend at home, sick with this stuff, is "fools time". A major risk is blood clots, not a bit of coughing and breathing difficulty. People who have been "whiny but otherwise OK", have clotted out in their sleep, and are found dead in the morning. I don't think there's much profit in "toughing it out at home", if what you really need is heparin blood thinner and a watchful eye kept on you for internal bleeding.

By all means, have an oxygen concentrator, but be aware there are other risk factors that compromise the outcome. You could be maintaining "parity" with your opponent using the oxygen concentrator, while inside you, every cubic inch is full of clots.

For some reason, on young people, this manifests as "COVID toe", where the clots are in the feet.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I think that fed with a higher concentration of oxygen, the patient's metabolism will run a bit faster, so potentially reducing the room concentration consistent with Colin's experimental observation.

Apparently in the Dutch Army they teach conscripts "if the terrain and the map do not match, it is not the terrain that is wrong".

Reply to
newshound

Swedish babies have 'fragile: this side up. Not suitable for microwave drying' tattooed on their babies heads when they are born.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Paul wrote on 01/01/2021 :

Mine will not work at all with cold fingers, it just shows blanks despite showing a pulse in its bargraph.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Paul pretended :

Mine shows a tiny crude cardio, but I don't know whether it is a genuine cardio or synthesised. In interviews with the docs, they have asked me if I ever notice heart palpitations - not really knowing what one should feel like, all I can reply is that I have absolutely no idea.

The only times I notice my heartbeat is when I feel my wrist or temple etc. for it, or sometimes can audibly hear the beat in my ears. I asked, and was told that is quite normal.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

nightjar formulated the question :

I'm on iron IV and a monthly injection because of low iron level in my blood. The low level apparently, was making my oxygen take up in my blood poor and causing rapid fatigue. I bought the Oxymeter out of curiosity to keep an eye on my levels, but too late, after the IV and first jab.

It never reads less than 97, once it has settled. It seems to read low initially, maybe 94, then rises up from there after a few seconds.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Several times I've been lying in bed and heard a cup or glass perched on the headboard rattling gently against the wall ...

Reply to
Andy Burns