DIY oxygen treatment? Just in case the NHS runs out.....

My wife has Pulmonary Hypertension and gets breathless quickly, so I bought her one of these for Christmas.....

jon

that splits water?

Reply to
Andy Burns

No, it is a concentrator. See penultimate bullet point under main heading: "? ?Molecular Sieve Oxygen Generator? Molecular sieve oxygen generator is an advanced gas separation technology. The physical method (PSA method) directly extracts oxygen from the air, which is ready for use, fresh and natural. No atomization function. "

Were you perhaps confusing the need for water in the humidifier?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

More than likely ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Is there any actual difference in the gas inside an oxygen bottle for respirators and oxygen bottles for gas axes?

Reply to
John J

Probably a higher sterility standard

But if I were dying I wouldn't be fussy

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yes..... purity and contamination

medical grade oxygen is 99.99% oxygen when filled into the bottle

The cylinder must be of an inert material so it does not contaminate the oxygen while being stored before use.

Reply to
No Name

What about water content? Breathing pure O2 at 0% humidity won't be good for already-struggling lungs.

Reply to
Reentrant

I had (mild) Covid a short time ago and looked around for an oximeter. The reviews were mixed (especially for the cheaper ones) so I ended-up with a "RENPHO Oxygen Saturation Monitor". It gives results that are consistent with my Android phone, but whether that's a good or bad thing I know not.

Reply to
nothanks

Oxygen at high pressure is reactive enough that the interior surface will passivate pretty quickly. It is more about anything else toxic in with it like ozone impurities for instance.

A flame doesn't care whether it gets fed with O2 or O3 but a human does.

Breathing pure oxygen for too long isn't all that good for you anyway. They typically enrich the air being breathed in by some proportion accroding to the patients needs - lowest enrichment to get blood O2 up.

It makes a significant boost to seeing faint objects at full dark adaption (especially at high altitude observatories to have a few breaths of pure O2). Apart from that it isn't recommended unless suffering from altitude sickness (which is sort of what Covid does).

DIY oxygen tent is probably a bad idea anyway. Several smokers in third world countries have burned to death whilst being treated in them.

This one in the UK is pretty scary too. I'm not sure how it started but my guess would be using the wrong lubricant on the high pressure side.

Martin Brown

This doesn't make sense to me, I'm afraid. The amount of oxygen being used up in the room is the amount being converted into CO2 by the patient. The oxygen concentrator won't alter that significantly.

What's happening is that oxygen enriched air is being fed into the patient's lungs. The patient absorbs some of that oxygen, and the excess gets expelled back into the room, where it mixes with the remaining air.

Reply to
GB

Which is why they use an in-line humidifier, if someone is on oxygen for an extended period of time. Is a nebuliser the same thing?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

You use them all at once, or you keep them in different rooms, to save carting them around?

Or, maybe you are just an ardent collector?

Reply to
GB

IME, they can give odd readings at times. Ear lobe probe meters seem to be more reliable, but are more expensive.

Reply to
nightjar

They're supposed to be used at room temperature. If you've been outside in winter, and immediately take a PulseOX when you get inside, it might not be accurate.

It's also not a good gadget, for someone with Reynauds Syndrome (where many times a day, the fingers have no blood in them). The little machine would probably not even know it was clamped to a finger in that case :-) It would probably think it was scanning a sausage.

I have a PulseOX here, and it seems to be consistent. It's never dropped below 90% on me so far. But then, I got it well after I was having trouble. So it sits there for "next time". I like the machine mainly because it "looks like a cardiogram", and you can see ripple in the blood flow waveform, that corresponds to a fluttery feeling in the chest. It can confirm that you've "still got a pulse" :-)

The screen output on mine looks like this. And I do like the waveform feature, because you can see a correspondence between the waveform, and when you have a "fluttery feeling" in the chest.

I'm sure if a doctor looked at your pulseOX, he would entirely ignore the waveform as being "irrelevant". I like doctors. Only the tests they order are "relevant". Your anecdotal observations are to be thrown in the trash. Just ask some dead people, how that worked out for them.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

That might be their term for zeolite.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

For oxy-propane cutting or heating they replace a bottle, it's rental and cost of (re)filling.

Reply to
Fredxx

which says, "Zeolites are microporous, aluminosilicate minerals commonly used as commercial adsorbents and catalysts".

Reply to
Fredxx

And there I was, feeling really sorry for you. :)

I'm really pleased that's all it is.

Reply to
GB

Oh yes, I hadn't thought of that interpretation! That's kind of you. :-)

I have a cutting torch which when used in non-cutting mode heats very effectively. A more standard jet can be used for glass blowing on soda and borosilicate glasses.

Unfortunately oxy-propane isn't quite hot enough to melt steel. For that it's a MIG.

Reply to
Fredxx