DIY mum left with horrific burns

And little mirrors so the ladies can do their make-up while stopped at junctions?

No, we need separate Bloke Trolleys, with small electrodes on the front.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We deffo need mirrors - to stop people pulling out on front of you.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Morrisons seem to be fond of promoting an image that harks back to local shopping , hence the store layout resembling a cheap theme park with signs denoting "market street. The old dears could well be props to the support the illusion. Its a Northern based store after all and gassing endlessly instead of getting on with the job seems to be a Northern thing.

Almost got thrown out of a supermarket once,there was a squeeze the rubber bulb hooter intended for a bicycle on sale so I picked one up and fastened it to the trolley with a some tape I just happened to have in my Pocket. It was fairly effective but didn't go down too well with some.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

She lives in Millbrook, unlikely to know what a carpet is.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Me too !!

Reply to
the_constructor

I'm with you on CAS, just about the only thing that I can't even tolerate in the background.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Skipweasel :

Same here.

I've actually got to quite like CAS.

GQT, and Mark Lawson, on the other hand...

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I can't even do that. Da-dada-dada-dada-daaaa[click]

I hate radio plays generally, but The Archers is a particular loathing of mine.

Although the discussion on More Or Less of the length of Nigel's scream was amusing.

Reply to
Huge

I'm on the lady's side. I've been in contact with cement from time to time and never had a reaction like this.

I did once use traditional lime mortar for re-pointing some stonework, and found it easier to shape it with my fingers. But when I noticed I didn't have fingerprints any more, I started wearing gloves!

But I certainly wouldn't have expected anything like what was shown in the picture.

Reply to
BartC

Another victim that I believe is not as stupid as was made out.

Coffee from MacDonalds, poured into an insulating container which doesn't absorb heat (and with a lid too!), and using a low-bulk, powdered whitener, could very well be considerably hotter that the stuff one is used to drinking at home, which might use a china mug, a big splash of cold milk, and a metal spoon.

Reply to
BartC

You'd still expect a cup of coffee to be hot (unless you've ordered iced coffee), wouldn't you?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Yes, but there are various degrees of 'hot'.

Perhaps the victim had her own ideas of what was necessary to be seriously scalded from a hot drink (we've all spilt splashes of such drinks over our hands and know that, while painful, proper boiling water is a lot more painful!).

In fact, I remember buying a hot drink in a cafe, and though I paid £2, it was served in a polystyrene cup. It was hot enough to scald my lip! (The sort of scalding that hurts a lot and result in peeling skin a few days later.)

I've had the same drink at home and in cafes lots of times, nearly always in a china cup, and don't remember being scalded like that before. _It was hotter than I expected._

This MacDonald drink, if it had one of these corrugated cups, could also have felt deceptively cool (although admittedly I still wouldn't have held it between my legs).

Reply to
BartC

It's worth reading the actual details of the trial on that one. The coffee was more hazardous and less drinkable than you might think, and the victim didn't behave in the way they're usually reported. Pretty much every one of the many web descriptions of this that I've seen presented the case in a way that mis-represents things in Mc Donald's favour.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Does anyone know how she was injured? These are unusual injuries for cement contact. Were they caused by unusually corrosive cement, by unusual sensitivity to it, or by ignoring the first indications of pain and leaving it in contact unusually long?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I don't know how much we should trust the Daily Wail but the link given in the OP states as a fact that she knelt in it and that:

"It was claimed the lime ingredient becomes dangerous when water is added to the cement powder and starts to burn skin if not washed off within minutes of contact."

This additional bit came automatically via the copy and paste.

Read more:

the article refers throughout to cement the bag illustrated clearly states "Floor levelling compound".

Reply to
Roger Chapman

In message , Tim Watts writes

Are you thinking of starting one?

Reply to
geoff

geoff ( snipped-for-privacy@uk-diy.org) wibbled on Wednesday 23 February 2011 20:21:

Yep - trying to get Southeastern Train users to mutiny :-|

SE Trains are the only company that have caused me to start shouting in a Ticket Clerk's face through armoured glass, followed by the duty manager's face.

Didn't help when the clerk said "if you don't like it [terms], don't travel". That was before I started shouting in case there's any doubt...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Heh. Reminds me of once when on holiday in Greece years ago, getting on a packed overnight ferry, which was travelling non-stop in the wrong direction, after the inspector checked my Greek (incomprehensible) ticket and allowed us on.

Didn't realise until it was too late, whereupon we had a similarly animated discussion at the Purser's office. The screaming from both sides of the glass screen had reached fever pitch, when the captain entered the back of the office, unseen by the counter clerk. At this point me and SWMBO just shut right up, but the clerk went on howling like a banshee, swearing and ranting at us for quite some time while Capitano looked on impassively from the back, watching his crew member laying into this apparently demure couple of tourists. I can't remember whether SWMBO managed to switch on the tears or not; but whatever, the clerk's face was a real picture when she cottoned on what was happening.

We scored a complimentary cabin for the night, at least ;)

Reply to
Lobster