DIY granite woktops.

For those who may be interested I have just finished a DIY install of granite worktops. I bought two 2.3 metre lengths from an eBay seller for =A369.99 each. I bought a diamond blade for my angle grinder and set to work cutting as appropriate. The stuff is very heavy (100kg per sheet) so was very difficult to manoeuvre so had to get some assistance.

Cutting was the biggest challenge, the cutout for a ceramic sink took about 2 hours and is very dusty work. It was made more difficult due to the fact that the blade only cut about 3/4 of the way through, so I had to turn it over and do the other side.

The result are very nice looking worktops, total cost about =A3180, may have to spend 20 quid on some granite sealer.

Reply to
avocado

Hope you don't run into my problem - I have a granite surface plate, and left my height gauge in one place for around 6 weeks. Where the stainless steel feet of the gauge were in contact with the granite it's distinctly lighter in tone. And several weeks later (after removing the gauge), the discoloration is still there...

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

I like the idea of DIY granite tops but the two that I have had fitted have had sink units 'glued' to the underside. How would you go about making the opening for these? I believe I have seen router cutters capable of cutting granite/composite type materials but the opening would still need polishing. Where the edges polished or did you have to polish them?

PhilC

Reply to
PhilC

Can you post some pictures somewhere, particularly of the sink cut-outs.

Sounds interesting although the wife has some peculiar longing for wide stave cherry worktops as well as that fancy French glazed lava stone which costs one arm and one leg per linear metre (therefore only suitable for short runs!).

Thanks,

Fash

Reply to
Fash

The sink i used was an inset ceramic sink, so the opening didn't have to be perfect as it is hidden. I doubt you could DIY a visible sink cut out. The worktops had polished edges as supplied, where I cut it I used a polishing disk to bring back the shine.

OK, they are not quite up to a professional standard if you look closely, but they are ten times better than laminated chipboard.

Pictures to follow.

Reply to
avocado