DIY Dendrochronology

It might be fun to be able to accurately date timbers you find in your home/...

Is there any free database or program to do this?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Er! no I'd get really bored,can I watch the paint dry instead?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Some external links here (bottom of the page) that may be useful:

dom

Exactly what you want here:

dom

|Exactly what you want here: | |

tree ring series age quite local, so you will want one for English ?oak?,

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Its a difficult science and there are not too may experts around. You would need a reference pattern for whatever type of wood you are testing and for your locality. You would need to collect at least 50 rings to have confidence in your match to the reference. And you would need to find wood that was adjacent to the bark to know then it was felled.

Your chances of success are very low.

cheers Davy

Reply to
Davy

I doubt very much that there is a science to it; as we have recently seen how the world was wrapped in snow most of the beginning of this year and Britain was entirely free of it. The south east of England has just had its first real rain this year -maybe since some time before the end of the last.

I imagine there is no mathematical formulae for the art -as one must have in the description of a scientific law that makes a theory a science.

Another tool in the shed of the monkeys, that one.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

| |Davy wrote: |> Its a difficult science and there are not too may experts around. |>

|I doubt very much that there is a science to it; as we have recently |seen how the world was wrapped in snow most of the beginning of this |year and Britain was entirely free of it. The south east of England has |just had its first real rain this year -maybe since some time before |the end of the last.

The North has had lots of rain this year, so we would give different tree ring growth here. Did they buy trees from another part of the country? If so you need a very local data set, or quite a lot of expertise.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop