diy data recovery

I have had Windows machine run for months without reboot. I would say the issue between Windows and Linux are on par.

Things have come a long way since Win95, where reliability was measured in reboots per day.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I would grant that it is a lot more reliable than it was back then. But you still have the registry, the stupid drive letters, and the primitive file system that prevents you moving or renaming a file just because some other bit of software has it open for writing.

Even Microsoft Office on the Mac handles *that* OK, so there's no excuse really.

I well remember the day some years ago when my brother, a Win fanboi worse even than T i m , showed me how it was possible on his Winbox to have two screens, and move a window from one to the other with the mouse.

His face fell a bit when I pointed out that this had been possible on the Mac since 1987.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It doesn't. I was saying that whilst you and I know Linux isn't really easy enough for 'most people', they are trying to make it so (not retain it in the domain of just the LinuxBorg).

It's as compassionate as you are(n't).

Pull yourself together mate FFS. Your spelling accuracy seems to be disproportionate to your excitement. ;-(

No, it isn't. We (those of us would would actually *like* to have the option to use Linux as a real alternative) need more manufacturers and developers to get onboard.

Is that an offer? That's what Windows does for me so I see no reason why every OS shouldn't do the same (in 2017 ffs).

Who said it couldn't? You can run Teskdisk and loads of other utilities under Windows and such solutions were suggested.

Aww bless, is that like Linsux or just another typo?

Except that's exactly was nearly every distro does?

Have you never looked here?

Or here:

Really? How many years has Windows been about now? Do you think people actually buy Windows or does it just come on the PC they buy?

Aww bless ... the old 'left brain' bias coming out again. ;-(

You really have lost the plot mate. I suggest you go sit down in a darkened room till you calm down (and hopefully see / talk sense). I am the last person to ever be swayed by any form of marketing.

Grow up.

To stupid to make it do what it can't possibly do?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

What the F has that got to do with one OS's ability to do more of what I need than another? You are happy to uses your machines as just a typewriter, I happen to need to interface mine with loads of different hardware that was inevitably designed for Windows and the software Windows only?

And it still doesn't explain how you can't offer solutions to my Linux problems (given how competent you are and how stupid my questions must be)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Again, a literal left-brained interpretation of my valid point. I turn my Windows PC on in the morning, use it all day and turn it off again at night, as does the Mrs and daughter with theirs ... as do

*millions* of people around the world at home and work every single day. 'Of course' each is bound to have something go wrong now and again, but if was anything like as bad as you suggest and the alternatives actually any better *for them* (not a LinuxBorg), I'm sure they would be using it.

Talking of that, does anyone know how those Linux rollouts that were going on in German Councils (was it) are getting on?

And you still can't use a spell checker. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Bit ironic really that they only introduced that feature in 1987. Same time as the introduction of the Mac 11 with the much larger screen. Even if it did cost US$5,498 (equivalent to $11,590 in 2016).

When up until that point Macintosh users were stuck with a 9 inch monochrome screen. If only they'd have thought of that feature earlier ? They might even have been able to stick an extra $,1000 on the price

michael adams

microsoft windows - for people who want a computer

linux - for people want a hobby

apple macintosh - for people who want a computer costing twice as much which is 2mm thinner 10 mg lighter, with a big apple logo on the lid which lights up. Saving them having to get it tattooed on their forehead.

Reply to
michael adams

And why is that an issue for you or more importantly, the vast majority of computer users?

That make reasonable sense if you have tried to talk someone though finding a mount point.

Yup and again, whilst it makes sense *why* it might work like that, isn't something 'most people' would *ever* have an issue with? Just like I can't see why you can't just right click on the desktop and create a new text file there (unless you now can with OSX)?

But that's 'backward compatibility' for you. Just like when my Dad bought a new iMac and then found he couldn't run his OS9 apps on it.

Me, a Windows fanboi? I am a user of several OS's but generally use the one that can do the most *for me*. That just happens to be Windows.

And that was because the Apples were often brought in to DTP and not the huge range of roles IBM PC clones have been put to over the years.

That's not to say Apples *couldn't* do most of those things (assuming the hardware manufacturer made a card to fit the Apple I/O bus that was in fashion at the time) and the software required was available.

Apple made a smart move when they went over to the Intel processors as that mean many people could run OSX *and* Windows on the same hardware natively so they could still access all the stuff they couldn't directly from OSX.

I could reboot this MacMini into OSX but haven't done so for probably a couple of years now. I haven't done so, not because I 'love' Windows but because of the real-world fact that OSX does less for me when Windows can?

Now, if I was like most Apple users and just wanted a typewriter and Web terminal I could equally be happy , but if the latest MacBook / OSX can't run my OBD tools ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
[20 lines snipped]

I had a barney with an MS rep sometime in the early 80s when he was crowing about MS-DOS having shared resident libraries & I pointed out that RSX-11M had had them for several years.

I'm not convinced that MS have ever invented *anything*. OTOH, Apple aren't much better.

Reply to
Huge

Because I have run some undelete utilities before and if DD is a bit for bit copy and the sector hasn't been overwritten it should still be there, or is that hoping too much?

AJH

Reply to
news

Was that on Linux/UNIX?

Reply to
Bob Eager

No it was a usb stick under Windows XP

AJH

Reply to
news

Ah, therein lies your misunderstanding. The on-disk structures on Linux and UNIX systems are a lot more complex. It is a lot harder to find bits of files and stitch them together. The old FAT file system, used of USB sticks, is also a lot easier to do an undelete on than, say, NTFS.

Not saying it isn't possible, but it's a lot more difficult.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks Bob but it is a usb3 1TB disc and was written from Windows 10. I didn't look to see the file type but had assumed it would still be FAT.

I inspected it from MINT17 and have DDd a copy onto my hard drive.

I'm still waiting for my brother to check his other files in case he has a recent version before figuring how to create a mount point and load the iso.

I also previously approached a data recovery company which is 'phoning me two or three times a week, often the caller has no knowledge of previous conversations but subsequent to the call I get a text message and an e-mail asking me how their caller performed and spewing out the same details of their services.

AJH

Reply to
news