diy data recovery

Linux doesnt have 'shares'.

In other words you collect qualifications but never learnt to think for yourself.

Its only so as not to upset dweebs like you D i m.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And that is the point. Back in the day we used to spend hours reinstalling windows and later on MACOS9, and then OSX because the information to fix it could not be found.

I have *never* had a linuix system degrade to the point where reinstall was necessary. Though often its not bad think to upgrade every few years.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Of copurse not. All thsoe stickers are about separataing you and your money. Linux is free. Why would any shop advertise that you can get away without paying for an operating system, all te software you need and a proper backup policy tailored to your needs?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think my mate may have an issue with his BT Broadband and I was trying to email him some tips re how he can see if he has or not. I've told him how to start a ping running and what to look out for but I wondered if there was a nice ping GUI tool for Linux, as there are for Windows (he's running the Mint 18 I installed for him the other day) and went to try some on my Ubuntu.

So I go to install something from the CLI (copy and paste off the web) only to find myself *again* clashing with the updates I'm also running. ;-(

In Windows I can be doing the updates *and* install an app with no issues.

Ok, I guess I'll just have to waste even more time, waiting for Linux to allow me to get on with stuff ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

As I said, you have no clue about computers at all, unless someone has written an expensive manual for you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Another left brainer reply.

Wouldn't *every* hardware manufacturer want to maximize their market exposure (even if only for the 5% that equates to the Linux desktop) and advertise on their product (so not the shop you LinuxBorg) that is was 'Linux compatible'?

Maybe they don't want the aggravation that might bring is someone buys it 'because it says it's compatible on the box' and then they find it isn't actually compatible with their distro, kernel or DE? What *is* a GNU/Linux install exactly?

At least with Windows (or OSX / Android) they have a fairly restricted configuration set to be compatible with.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Noob.

Then you probably never try to (say) install a new video card and it's driver, even by using the Hardware Wizard!

Yeah, I might get round to re-installing XP on this MacMini one day (that can still do more and easier than I can do on the latest Linux Mint for example).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Bwahahaha, another *classic* left brainer reply mate. You really love helping yourself into these holes don't you!!

I mostly use Windows *BECAUSE I RARELY NEED TO READ ANY F*ING MANUALS"!!!*

My test for any new piece of hardware or software is 'How intuitive is it'?

I've just tried 3 supposed GUI interfaces to nmap on Ubuntu to find one that just does what I can do *sooo* easily on Windows (for free), and that's run a GUI based Ping-host logger.

I failed with all of them ... because they were designed by and supposed to be used by Geeks, not ordinary computer users trying to use (what should be) a basic tool to do a basic job.

So, *you* obviously love and get a buzz out of pouring though numerous man pages and manuals whilst I do not (and never have). And with Windows (or OSX / Android apps in general), I've never needed to!]

Good luck with your hobby. I'll carry on getting on with my life. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Another left brainer and BS reply.

I didn't 'collect qualifications' mate, I earned them from practical experience. My CNI was because I had built and administered a Netware server for many years. My MCI was based on my in depth knowledge of MS Mail. My A+CT was based on many many years building, maintaining and installing PC's. One thing I was known for is *not* presenting anything I hadn't previously lived.

Ah, now we are getting nearer the truth. The likes of Mark with Canonical / Ubuntu and Clem with Mint would disagree with you of course as they are both trying to make their distros as easy for the likes of me as possible (and slowly and possibly surely are doing so).

What you will never be able to comprehend (because you are a LinuxBorg / left brainer) is that most people CGAF about the OS (including me) as long as they can do what they want.

I'm guessing that if Linux gave 'most people' that and was free (of cost, few people care about any other kind of free and most would still prefer to pay for something that worked fully than only worked partially after a big struggle) Linux would be doing better than being stagnant at around 6% of the desktop PC market?

No, make 'a Linux' that all the software developers and hardware manufacturers could hang their hats on and Linux *could* take off ... but that isn't going to happen when the Linux community is busy forking itself every which way. ;-(

Linux is it's own restriction.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not if Microsoft then locked them out of their developer policy and not if they then lost sales of operating systems and software.

You are rather sweet really D I m ., Its this naive trist in the likes of microsoft (and te EU of course) that really stuns me: Aftert 40 years (allegdly) in ITR you havent learnt the commercial basiscs at all.

Bless.

I have no idea D i m. I just put the DVD in the slot and there it is.

So restricting the stupid user to a known subset of choices that dont get hin what he actually wants is 'good software'? # I see you are a microsoft (and EU) man through and through.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wouldn't boast about your utter incoimpetence D i m. It makes you look as stupid as you really are.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why does that not surprise me?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well given the number of long standing security holes in linux you would be pretty stupid not to upgrade to a version that was being maintained.

Maybe you think 10 year old linux is OK? You appear to think windows stopped being developed >10 years ago.

Reply to
dennis

Exactly,. And thats disagrees with what I said in what way exactly?

Linux is very compassionate. It understands that you have been indoctrinated bby years of exposure to OSX and Windoes, and in trying to break that addiction, it can deskill Linux to thw point where a complete morion can actually isntall it.

Sadly tahts still not enough is it?

Not for people who need soemoen to hold their willies while they pee.

But the whole startinng poinnt of this thread was that someone could NOT do what they want. Windoes had failed them.

Its on no ones interest to adevretise it and promote it because it IS free!

The point here is taht te majority idusers dio not buy: they are sold to.,

And you are teh classic case in point. A total dweeb who thinks they know far far more than they really do, because marketing has bombarded you with propaganda to tell you how smart you are, and of course rather than accepr you are dim to mediocre, you believed them and bought the product.

Now I can't deal with your lack of self esteem. Thats for your psychiatric counseeller.

But I do resent your dissing perfectly good softwatre simply because you, personally are too stupid to use it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The shops did try and sell linux machines. They didn't sell very well and most of those that did were returned and I helped factory reset loads of them to be returned.

Most people do not want linux whatever you say.

It has uses but shoving on desktop machines for the average user just isn't one of them.

Reply to
dennis

Why are you in denial?

So do I .. I can either reboot into OSX or Linux or could run a Windows VM on OSX / Linux or run Linux in a VM on Windows. What do you think you are doing that is so special (apart from actually having access to Windows to run your Windows only programs)?

Or thanks to Windows.

Who does, given the vast majority of people run Windows in the desktop and have no issues?

You are continually dissing Windows (hypocrite) and Advocating Linux.

No, you are too full of bluster to actually answer my Linux questions. We all know why I have them, it's because I'm trying to use it (unlike the vast majority etc).

There is no way a left brained LinuxBorg *couldn't* answer a technical question if they had the answer! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ah, we are getting closer. We just need you to admit you are running

*Windows* ...

It's not that whatever that is. ;-)

Yes, because I just want to use it, not make it myself. I would be interested to see the Video card or printer you built from scratch.

Again with the feeble Left Brainer putdowns. I rarely go to PCW for anything, I was talking of 'most people'.

Oooh, you really don't want to go there do you? The last time you tried you ended up in floods of tears. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I have never met a single person who runs ANY dekstop who haqsnt had issues.

So we can see immdeietraly that yiu are lying.

Thats notr bluster D i m.

Pore Ole Dim. always going for the emotional narrative when common sense and logic fails

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And you think that stops all the Chinese manufacturers?

Aww, bless.

I'm sure they aren't the only things that 'stun you' mate. I bet 'sunshine' is another. ;-(

ITR?

And you don't seem to have installed (or mastered) the use of the keyboard or spell checker. Cummon, once you have finished typing and the red mist dies down, wipe the bile from your keyboard and press 'spell check'.

Ah, some honesty at last. ;-)

Funny. So, no actual answer to the question. Thought not.

I never said any of that. People (so not you obviously) do get what they want from MS OS' or they would all be flocking to find something else (like OSX or Linux)?

Except, after many many years and numerous opportunities given to the Linux fraternally by MS (and OS changes no one wanted or asked for), Linux *still* didn't get it's act together.

You are so blinkered I'm not surprised to can only see lies and darkness and bs (so basically your own reflection).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Because you are a left brainer LinuxBorg and so don't really have a good understanding of the real world?

HTH.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m